starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Book for Elderly

Default New Book for Elderly

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Rip: Would you be open to posting the table of contents of the new book that will be coming out? Would it give us a good flavor of what to expect?

I don't see the need for a book like this, anyone with a bit of common sense should be able to tailor one of the hundreds of programs
    already available to fit their own needs. Strength training isn't rocket science folks.

I'm looking forward to the book. Always something new to learn. Conditioning and preserving the aging body are more interesting than rocket science.
    Last edited by Bestafter60; 08-16-2016 at 05:54 PM.

It's a good one. My wife and I read and made comments on Sully's part of the book. It is designed in part to encourage those who may be sitting on the fence and to give some guidance to individuals and coaches in working with Seniors. It will be well worth the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I don't see the need for a book like this, anyone with a bit of common sense should be able to tailor one of the hundreds of programs
    already available to fit their own needs. Strength training isn't rocket science folks.
    That's a pretty small minority. Take a look in the average gym. The nonsense that goes on there tells me that common sense is not as common as we might hope.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    That's a pretty small minority. Take a look in the average gym. The nonsense that goes on there tells me that common sense is not as common as we might hope.
    That's very true, some people cant even train without having a trainer babysit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    That's very true, some people cant even train without having a trainer babysit them.
    I've never seen the people who require the babysitters make much if any progress. They are just going through the motions and are able to tell their friends "I have a personal trainer". Steady income for the trainers though.

This is not a book for trainers. It is a book for coaches and people who want a serious coach to guide them.

I've come to the conclusion that training programs are just like music, all the great stuff has already been written.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, there is nothing new under the sun, but just like in music or movies, record labels, film studios and publishing companies are always trying to market something that will ride on the coat tails of their last bestseller. No use in putting something out if nobody knows about it or wants it. Last I heard, Starting Strength sold over half a million and has been translated to German and Chinese so a significant demand for information from Rip and his people exists. Sure, most of the ideas were always there and more than enough people could have written their own pamphlet or blog from anecdotes and studies, but the exciting part, especially in light of all the stupid and conflicting fitness studies reported on in the mainstream media, is that this knowledge will be packaged together and marketed to a large public. The existing information about aging, nutrition and resistance training is pretty poor.

@Meshuggah Don't you think it would be a positive development if the health profession, at least some GPs would recognize the evidence and promote "barbell medicine" to their patients, or do you think most people wouldn't want to hear or act on it?
    Last edited by VikingCellist; 08-22-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast