starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check

Default Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

since I seem to be prone to lower back problems (especially with DLs, more info here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=42033&page=2), I've decided to post my own video for a form check. Most of all I need DL tips, but I'm sure I have a lot to learn for the other lifts as well. No OHP in this video, it was bench day.

This is the link (sorry about the video quality):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mFb5_mHU2w

- Is the squat deep enough? I always feel I go really deep, but from here it looks like I barely get to parallel.
    - Last time I went to a PL coach he told me that I have to push the bar a little towards my head (and even pressing with my legs a little) when coming up in a bench press, because that's how I activate the chest muscles the most. I've tried to do it here. Instead, I seem to remember an argument from Rip about vertical paths being the shortest and therefore the most efficient. Which is true?
    - DL: Does my form break down significantly at 155? It seems ok, but last time I hurt myself I was deadlifting only 175.
    - I just remembered I made a video a few months ago (didn't post it on this forum though). Did I improve? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHgo2GPX7GY

I just watched all 3:57 of that video. If I wasn't in Afghanistan, there is no way I would have done so. Try to keep your form checks to on movement per thread.

Squat: too deep at times, other than that fine, though you could keep your chin a little lower throughout. Overall not bad.

Bench: if you read the book, you will know that your statement about Rip's thoughts on the barpath in the BP is incorrect. Overall sense of looseness in the bench, need to be tight all over.

DL: Review the sticky at the top of this forum. Hips are too low, knees are too far forward. Don't drop the bar on the last rep.

Thanks for your opinion. Maybe that statement about the bar path was referring to the squat. It's been too long and I probably need to go back to the book, sorry.

Sorry about the length as well -- I just wanted to be thorough, include multiple sets from different angles and group everything in one post, but of course you don't have to use all the materials to judge. If anybody else wants to contribute on a single exercise, I've put links in the youtube video page to skip to the bench and DL exercises.

By the way, I noticed too late that I've posted this in the wrong forum -- most people seem to post form checks in the "Technique" section. Any chance I can get the thread moved there?

You didn't necessarily post it in the wrong forum. No need to move it, many form checks are posted here. You can start another thread in the technique forum if you wish.

I don't understand - really - why people post to the technique forum and not here. Here, you get actual SS coaches. There, you get the likes of me.

Not a difficult decision.

I try to limit my posting here so as to not abuse the privilege of free advice from great coaches.

starting strength coach development program
    I post here as often as I can, for when I squat well I can start helping others in the technique forum.