starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength coaches in Western Mass?

Default Starting Strength coaches in Western Mass?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I ran SS for a little while last year, and posted here a few times, and then stopped, for a variety of reasons. I started again in mid-July, and things have been going pretty well so far. I have yet to fail on anything other than the Press, and I am definitely bigger and stronger than I was 7 weeks ago, despite having been a bit inconsistent- I've been to the gym 16 times in those 7 weeks.

But I do feel like my form could use some work, and I'd really like to have the opportunity to get it critiqued by someone who understands the SS form. I lift in a non-franchise commercial gym, and there are some pretty strong guys there, but the main (unsolicited) advice I've gotten has been that "your back should be vertical when you squat." Actually there is a fairly big bodybuilder there who regularly shouts this cue at me mid-set and really wants me to take 50 pounds off the bar and do sets of 12. He means well, but it's incredibly distracting.

Anyway, there's no one in my gym I trust to provide advice, but I would like some good coaching. Unfortunately I can't travel at all right now. I know it is unlikely, but I thought I'd see if there were any SS coaches near Northampton, Mass. If not, I might be able to travel to NYC on business later this Fall/Winter and arrange to spend an extra day there, but it would be a few months from now.

Also, I'm kind of interested in learning the Olympic lifts, but it doesn't seem like there's anyone around here who coaches them. If you know otherwise please let me know.

Did you check the directory?

Yeah, there are no coaches listed in this area. We're a bit out of the way, so it's not a big surprise. I just thought I'd check. Thanks.