starting strength gym

Thread: Fainting in power clean rack position

Default Fainting in power clean rack position

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm very new to SS, have had 2 weeks during which I performed all the exercises as recommended.
    Before that I had my focus on muscle hypertrophy and did HIT with 1wk breaks between sessions. Had been doing that for 3 1/2 months, before which I was pretty damn sick (anorectic and full blown manic) and hadn't done any sports in 4.5yrs.

So here's some stats:
    Height is 5'10''
    Body weight went up from 131lbs to 189lbs
    DL went up from 132lbs x5 to 275lbs x5
    Squat went up from 110lbs x5 204lbs x5

Now here comes the issue I've experienced:
    I had two sessions of power cleans. I managed to rack 121lbs 5 times when I first tried them, after working my way up from just the bar to that weight in small steps. I experienced no issues during that session.

Second time I tried them (did squats and overhead press without issues) I started to black out when I had just racked the bar during the first warm up set. I didn't quite black out all the way, but if I hadn't lowered the weight to the floor it would've definitely happened.
    I proceeded to take 5 second breaks between reps and kept experiencing the fainting sensation with every single rep.

I never experienced anything like that during my daily tasks, except rarely back when I was underweight.

Could this be an issue with form? Has anyone else trained someone who experienced this and resolved it somehow or has done so himself?

Any help would be much appreciated since it's imho the most "fun" exercise in the program.

Sorry for not utfsf (using the f***ing search functrion)!

I had some issues with lightheadedness when I started lifting (not from choking myself with the barbell). I just had to sputter a little air out at the top of the lifts until my body made some adaptations.