starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check 197.5kg x 3

Default Deadlift Form Check 197.5kg x 3

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello

Thanks in advance for any useful cues to correct flaws I have. Perhaps worth noting I have bruised my left rear rib and bruised some muscle attached to it (?) and so getting my left back muscles tight is not so easy at the moment.

Deadlift set 3 of 3 @ 9 - 197.5kg

25.8.17 Deadlift - 197.5kg x 3@9, set 3 of 3 - YouTube

Follow the 5 step deadlift set up process outlined in the book and throughout the website. You appear to be setting up a little too close to the bar. You certainly have ypur hips too low and you are not setting your back into extension on any of the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Follow the 5 step deadlift set up process outlined in the book and throughout the website. You appear to be setting up a little too close to the bar. You certainly have ypur hips too low and you are not setting your back into extension on any of the reps.
    Thank you Jeff. I know the 5 steps, as is clear from the video I dont follow them to a T. I give my shins about a half inch from the bar when i am standing straight up because I feel like that is true mid foot - if I give it a full inch, the bar feels too far forward. That said, a full inch is easier for me to get into extension than when I am as close as I am here.

I also feel like I have even less pulling ability the more horizontal my back is - it almost becomes an SLDL. I drop my hips to get me into extension and then try to find the natural point of balance over the bar as I pull, but I realize I am not maintaining that extension.

Are there assistance exercises that could help me build that extension strength?

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Thank you Jeff. I know the 5 steps, as is clear from the video I dont follow them to a T. I give my shins about a half inch from the bar when i am standing straight up because I feel like that is true mid foot - if I give it a full inch, the bar feels too far forward. That said, a full inch is easier for me to get into extension than when I am as close as I am here.

I also feel like I have even less pulling ability the more horizontal my back is - it almost becomes an SLDL. I drop my hips to get me into extension and then try to find the natural point of balance over the bar as I pull, but I realize I am not maintaining that extension.

Are there assistance exercises that could help me build that extension strength?
    While what you say is true (that having a flatter back will reduce pulling ability), it is better to pull correctly and safely than attempt to heave up 400 pounds with your lower back. If you slow down your video to .25 speed, you can see a major issue at the start of your lift. The first thing that your body does is round the lower back and this continues until halfway through the lift. Keep your hips high and get your chest and shoulders through the bar. The reason the bar feels like it is forward of the mid foot is because your center of mass is well behind where it should be. Also, if you dip your hips like you do at the start of every lift, you lose all of the tension in your hamstrings, forcing you to use your back to lift the weight which isn't what you want.

Assistance exercises: if you can really focus on getting your chest through and shoulders in front of not over the bar, rack pull will help with this. From about as low as you can go.

These were fast pulls. Now, I don't believe in RPE, but I think this closer to an 8 than a 9.

BTW, on your descent, get the bar below your knees before you unlock them.

Imo, I would suggest haltings over rack pulls. You need practice pulling from the floor, not locking out the weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    While what you say is true (that having a flatter back will reduce pulling ability), it is better to pull correctly and safely than attempt to heave up 400 pounds with your lower back. If you slow down your video to .25 speed, you can see a major issue at the start of your lift. The first thing that your body does is round the lower back and this continues until halfway through the lift. Keep your hips high and get your chest and shoulders through the bar. The reason the bar feels like it is forward of the mid foot is because your center of mass is well behind where it should be. Also, if you dip your hips like you do at the start of every lift, you lose all of the tension in your hamstrings, forcing you to use your back to lift the weight which isn't what you want.

Assistance exercises: if you can really focus on getting your chest through and shoulders in front of not over the bar, rack pull will help with this. From about as low as you can go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    These were fast pulls. Now, I don't believe in RPE, but I think this closer to an 8 than a 9.

BTW, on your descent, get the bar below your knees before you unlock them.

Imo, I would suggest haltings over rack pulls. You need practice pulling from the floor, not locking out the weight.
    Thank you guys! Your comments were super helpful. Will go and apply next training session!