starting strength gym

Thread: Female 5x3 Program

Default Female 5x3 Program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey folks,

My partner's SS app has a setting for the the Female 5x3 Program option which I think it is based on Ripp's article:

Strength Training for Women | T Nation

All interesting stuff. But when should a female novice use the 5x3 program? Is there an age or training stage guideline? Just for a point of reference my partner is late forties and couldn't OHP the bar for the first couple weeks (used lighter dumbbells), but can now do it for 3 reps, so I'm wondering if that means she should use the 5x3 mode in the app.

thanks!

There is no single place that women use triples instead of fives because of the variation between individuals. I usually start women and men off the same way, with fives. After the first plateau, I reset them and move to an advanced novice style program, where Wednesday's squat is at 80% of Monday's weight. As a woman progresses and begins to look like she is in danger of missing reps, I will often switch her to triples on the squat. I may keep her on fives for the other lifts, however. I might also move some of those lifts to triples as needed. I also frequently progress women using 2.5 lb increments on the squat and deadlift to keep progress going. I use 1 lb increments on the pressing movements if needed, too.