starting strength gym

Thread: Squat/Deadlift Form Check - Elbow Issue

Default Squat/Deadlift Form Check - Elbow Issue

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach Rip,

First off, I’m sure you’re a very busy person so I appreciate any time you might take to look at this…

I’ve been battling elbow issues related to squats for the past few months. It started with Golfer’s elbow in my right elbow that started up when I hit about 175 lbs (3 x 5). I watched your video under Resources on grip and adopted the closed fist type grip demonstrated. I’ve also increased my focus on keeping my elbows up. The new grip seems to have improved things greatly for my right elbow. Things have been progressing really well and then when I hit around 240 lbs (3 x 5) I started getting the “headache-like” pain you describe in my left elbow. I’m hoping that maybe you can see from these videos what may be causing this (and any other critique you can offer on my overall squat form). I train alone so I don’t really have access to peers or coaches that know what they’re talking about, but I’ve read your book and have watched the DVD and I think I’m performing these exercises correctly, but I’d greatly appreciate your opinion. I’ve also included a deadlift video, my biggest question regarding DLs is regarding my starting hip position (i.e. too high or too low), but again any other feedback you can offer on overall form would be appreciated.

Squat side-view:
    http://youtu.be/6QFWrqvQNKU

Squat rear-view:
    http://youtu.be/P726tvuOsww

Deadlift:
    http://youtu.be/Z_F_-NvdVK0

Here’s where I’ll throw in my half-cocked ideas if you care to hear them. I have a history of rotator cuff injuries (right shoulder) and a surgery to clean things up and remove bone spurs when I was 20. And while I do have different levels of mobility between shoulders, as far as I can tell it doesn’t seem to affect my elbow position when squatting. Can you see any difference between my right arm and my left? Also, my press is really weak (105 lbs 3 x 5) and I can only do 3 or 4 chin ups in a row. Have you ever seen upper body strength become a limiting factor in squats?

SQ: 265 lbs (3 x 5)

OHP: 105 lbs (3 x 5)

DL: 275 lbs (1 x 5)

6’ 3” 215lbs

I see nothing in any of these videos that would cause your elbow problems. But the video is not that good. Upper body strength is not a limiting factor in squats. You need to gain some weight.

I've sometimes gotten elbow pain in my squats if I don't keep my chest up/upper back tight enough. I think it's because the bar rolls down my back slightly and my arms take some of the load.