starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't be done with linear progression, could I?

Default I can't be done with linear progression, could I?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark and all.

The last 2 or 3 sessions have been hellish for me, so much so that I didn't bother doing my working set of deadlifts today because the warmups felt ridiculously heavy. It was session 23. Here are my before and after stats.

before / after:

squat: 85 x 5 * 3 / 195 x 5 * 3
    bench: 70 x 5 * 3 / 130 x 5 *3
    press: 60 x 5 *3 / 110 x 5 * 3
    deadlift: 135 lb x 5 * 1 / 235 x 5 *1

In about 2 months I've put on 25 lb of good weight, not much fat but noticeable muscle. I do almost nothing all day so I gain good weight with about 3500 calories a day. The last two bench sessions have been brutal and I had to have a spot. I feel like manhood escaped and I was having some bad thoughts developing because I felt like a weakling. I was so weak when I started that adding 10 lb to squat and bench for the first 2-3 sessions wasn't possible. I get about 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Someone tell me I still have more in me. Some folks at the gym have told me to leg press or do leg extensions, but those are just gay and emasculating to do.

Quite simple. Go up to 5000 calories and try again. It has already been determined long ago that unless you are very small, 3500 calories is not enough.

I'm 5'7 and spend 90% of my day sitting on my ass writing. I'm 185 now. Hence my confusion as you can see.

You are also stuck in your program before you should be. I think you may need a conditioning day, but I know you need to eat more. Not more Shit, just more calories and protein.

Why would a conditioning day help if I may ask?

It will make him feel better about eating 5k calories/day.

OP, i had a similar problem the last couple of weeks. After hitting 265 on the squat after 10 weeks TTDTFP, i -unknowingly- screwed up my diet and it went from 4500 to 3500ish... the result? getting stuck in Squat and Bench Press. I had already done a deload before realizing my stupid mistake, so i had to do a hard deload and make sure all my calories -quality above all- were there. It sounds silly that you'll need more than 3500 cals to do the program, but trust me, YOU DO!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Quite simple. Go up to 5000 calories and try again. It has already been determined long ago that unless you are very small, 3500 calories is not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
    I'm 5'7 and spend 90% of my day sitting on my ass writing. I'm 185 now. Hence my confusion as you can see.
    Please, Mr. Rippetoe read this again. 5'7 (midget status) 185 pounds. Do I need to come up with world class lifters that are 5'7 and compete in 165, not even 185.

Facepalm.

Reason for stall is not diet.

ToyStory Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It will make him feel better about eating 5k calories/day.
    You sir, are brilliant.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyStory View Post
    Please, Mr. Rippetoe read this again. 5'7 (midget status) 185 pounds. Do I need to come up with world class lifters that are 5'7 and compete in 165, not even 185.

Facepalm.

Reason for stall is not diet.
    Reason for stall is diet. Trying to get strong =/= reconfiguring body composition to suit Toy Story.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast