starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training for Navy PT Test

Default Training for Navy PT Test

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

First let may say that I own (and have read) PP, SS 2 &3, Mean ol Gravity, Strong Enough? and would probably buy a life sized Rip fathead decal if given the opportunity. I say this partially to demonstrate that I have done my homework and partially to disturb you at the thought of having your picture on another man's wall. I am 26, 6'1 218 lbs and a novice as defined by your book. I am following the SS novice program on MWF alternating pullups with deadlifts. Here it goes:

My question regards how to program SS given the demands of the PT test - I promise not to mention the run. My biggest weakness right now is pushups. If I workout SS MWF is there an advantage in recovery between doing pushups (basically 100 reps w/ as few sets as possible) the morning of SS days as opposed to doing them the day after (T,R,S). My logic is if a muscle needs to recover 48 hrs than by doing it all in one day I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. Then again, there may be absolutely no difference which is why I seek the expert advice of someone like you.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this and providing such an invaluable amount of resources.

When is the test administered officially, and how much do you bench?

I currently bench 230 x 5 and I am at least 4 months out from the official test. Thank you.

My experience beginnig SS only about 3 months before my AF PT test was that my push-ups AND my crunches both increased without doing either of these exercises at all during the months leading up to the test. I promise not to mention the run... OK I'll break that promise... it got worse.

background: 31 y.o. in Navy for 11 years
    source document: http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/...ss/6110.1J.pdf Male 25-29 y.o Max pushpups: 84. Max situps: 101. Max run: fast.

my 2 cents: Conduct a one minute pushup test, good baseline is 60 reps in 60 seconds. If you have 60 in 60 than forget about it otherwise from the PRT date (most commands still give out the date of the test) back off benching 2 to 3 weeks prior, no need to stop and do Tabata pushups 3x a week. After the PRT do a one minute max set 3x a week to maintain the 60 in 60. I am a proponent of 60 in 60 because the only way that I have found success in doing lots of pushups is to overcome the lactic acid build up with increasing the speed of the repetition.

Quote Originally Posted by kdgage View Post
    I promise not to mention the run... OK I'll break that promise... it got worse.
    Of course it did. But you still passed and you were stronger. AND, had you trained the run 3 times prior to the test, it would have been much better. Endurance comes back very quickly, whereas strength takes longer to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottatri2lift View Post
    my 2 cents: Conduct a one minute pushup test, good baseline is 60 reps in 60 seconds. If you have 60 in 60 than forget about it otherwise from the PRT date (most commands still give out the date of the test) back off benching 2 to 3 weeks prior, no need to stop and do Tabata pushups 3x a week. After the PRT do a one minute max set 3x a week to maintain the 60 in 60. I am a proponent of 60 in 60 because the only way that I have found success in doing lots of pushups is to overcome the lactic acid build up with increasing the speed of the repetition.
    Good advice. I'll add my 1.5 cts based on my 20+ years:

For the push-ups, do your 100 reps in minimum sets on the day you do your bench workout for the month leading up to the PRT. Do this at the end when you are done with everything else. Your press may suffer a bit during that month but you should be able to maintain at a minimum.

For the run (*ahem*, sorry Rip), I'd recommend some 400m repeats (3-5) 2 times per week, perhaps on Tuesday(or Wednesday if advanced novice program by then) and Friday (or Saturday). I think three will be enough for the month, but probably depends on your aims too.

I've tried both methods of keeping my run time up: keeping conditioning up throughout the whole cycle WHILE strength training, or drop strength training 4-6 weeks out and focus on the test events.

Since you want to do SS I'd say use the latter method. Hit the program as hard as you can and about 1 month out start training your run/pushups/situps. Drop lifting for this period and focus on the test. It's super boring and running sucks, but you'll be able to get your lifts back within a couple weeks after the test is over.

I appreciate the input from everyone - I will continue to do SS as written until I am closer to the actual test.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Of course it did. But you still passed and you were stronger. AND, had you trained the run 3 times prior to the test, it would have been much better. Endurance comes back very quickly, whereas strength takes longer to build.
    Do the results of strength training last longer than the results of endurance training, generally?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast