starting strength gym

Thread: Deficit Deadlift Only - Gym Has Smaller than Standard Plates

Default Deficit Deadlift Only - Gym Has Smaller than Standard Plates

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm wondering if there is anything I should change in my programming due to the fact that I'm not able to do regular deadlifts but only deficit deadlifts. The gym I train at has smaller than standard size plates - 40cm / ~15.7" rather than the standard 45cm / ~17.7". These are covered in some hard rubber material - made by Ziva. So, I'm deficit deadlifting by an 2.5cm / ~1".

Other than the smaller size plates, the gym is fairly decent for the gyms in Japan. It's got two racks and a Smith machine (which is great because it keeps a lot of the other lifters - mostly bodybuilder wannabe's - off the racks). I'm not going to be able to switch gyms due to the distance to any other gym that might have standard size plates and time constraints in the rest of my life.

I'm in a roughly early intermediate older lifter (55) program now - one of Andy's HLM variants with some accessories after the main lifts. I hit 142.5kg / 313.5lb for 5 last week with two back off sets of 5 at 130kg / 286lb. Other back work in the week is pulldowns (pullups aggravate my right elbow), barbell rows, and weighted back extension.

Should I just keep working through with the deficit DL only until I stall out? Alternate with something else - rackpulls?

Place 1-2 smaller plates under the loaded plates to elevate the height. That's how many of us at commercial gyms here in the US have had to adapt when pulling sub 135.

Ok, thanks. I'll give that try on Wednesday and see how it works out. The surface of the plates isn't that smooth and there is a metal insert where the bar goes in - don't want to damage that. The plates look like this. If it doesn't work out I guess just deficit DL?

Ziva-Imported-Rubber-Plates.jpg

It should be fine. It's the best you're going to get right now. Tell them to order bigger plates and they won't have to worry about it.

Well, that's the first DL day in with the plate under and it was a whole lot easier even at this week's 145kg. Thanks again.

You are welcome. I have had to use two 25 lb plates on each side here in the states. Depends on the thickness. If you want to be extra sure on the height then bring a ruler

I used one 5kg plate on each side. These plates are thicker than the standard plane iron ones. The thickness of the 5kgs were pretty close to the deficit amount (I did bring a tape measure). I'll add that the fatigue following this week's DL workout was a lot less.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds good. Glad it's sorted and you can pull properly now