starting strength gym

Thread: Deload

Default Deload

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Question about deloading:

A lot of strength coaches (Defranco, Wendler, Cressey) in their programs have an automatic deload week after a month of training. In practical programming, it states that you should back off only when you start missing reps. One of the back-offs example sounds pretty much like a deload: “warm up normally . . . then stop.”

It seems for a novice (like me) a deload is not necessary unless your performance suffers versus an intermediate might benefit from more frequent deloads.

What’s your opinion on doing an automatic deload (which is what seems to be suggested by the above authors in their workouts)?

Search function

It seems an increasing number of posts will be answered in this manner when an increasing number of questions such as this are asked... Such is the progression of Forums where a large ammount of information is available in older posts.

I spent 2 or 3 nights reading the boards... 2 or 3 well spent nights.

Keep in mind that several of the above mentioned coaches have written materials and specific programs intended for use by large audiences. Therefore, their recommendations are general in nature. So...in general a back off period of some sort every 3-4 weeks is probably about right for a late intermediate/advanced trainee...on average.

Most of these guys will probably tell you (and this is discussed within PP) that loading/deloading becomes fairly individual and situationally dependent on many factors. Volume, intensity, frequency, exercise selection will all factor in to this decision.

If you look at a program such as Westside there are alterations every week. It isn't always necessarily a true "deload" but volume and intensity are pretty much waved every single week.

I actually did do a search function and I couldn't find an exact answer. I'll look again.