starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form-check

Talking Squat form-check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello!

I recently started out with the starting strength program and have been scanning the forums for a while. Like many of you I constantly fret over whether or not my squat (and certainly some of the other exercises as well) is what it ought to be, so I decided to put up this video in the hope of getting some feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq31fFA5vns

Any feedback is most welcome. I hope the camera angle is satisfying, if not, give me a holler and I will try filming a set with a different angle.

About the squat: I have been experiencing a "click" in my right knee, which I have heard can mean a lot of things, as well as a slight ache on the inside of my knees during the lift and afterwards. I have decided to "push on" for now assuming it doesn't get much worse. Strange thing is that the pain subsided almost completely when I reached the work sets across (40 kg, I know, not that much), which felt quite counterintuitive considering it's a heavier weight.

Like i said earlier I appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you!

I'm sure you can get a narrower grip than that.

Tighten up at the bottom. Don't hang around down there, start to come back up when you reach the bottom.

I am no expert, but it looks like your hips are coming up a lot faster than your chest, leading to a partial good-morning.

The upper back is a mess because of that wide grip. Everything is loose and its fucking everything else up at the bottom.

Your squat looks okay, but as others noted, you are loose throughout the movement. That needs to change. It is tough to tell for sure from the video, but I suspect you are carrying the bar too high. Based on the speed of the bar and the ease with which you are squatting, it is time to up the weight.

On todays' workout I tried out tightening up the grip and also following ellos' advice in this thread, since I assumed utilizing the bounce and "tightening up at the bottom" is two sides of the same coin (is this correct?).

Also, TomC, you mentioned it might be time to up the weight. Is this because the technique may actually improve? I'm just asking out of curiosity since the advice on the boards regarding form-checks seem to suggest a reduction rather than an increase in weight to get the form right.

I'll try posting a follow-up video later this week, too see if technique has indeed improved, thank you all for your time!

In general the form will improve with more weight until you reach a certain point where the form breaks down. For example, it's always tougher to keep everything tight with just the empty bar. Once you add more weight, it becomes much easier.

Based on your video, it does look like you could increase the weight. I think you will find that your form will "feel" better.

Sunil

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post
    Also, TomC, you mentioned it might be time to up the weight. Is this because the technique may actually improve? I'm just asking out of curiosity since the advice on the boards regarding form-checks seem to suggest a reduction rather than an increase in weight to get the form right.
    Hmmm... I watched your video again and I think I responded without watching closely enough the first. You are pushing your butt back instead of up and going a bit too deep. The weight is very light for you to the point that it looks more like a warm up. That's what I was responding to initially. Will your form improve with heavier weight? Probably not, but it is so light at this point that there's no need to go down, either. Make a normal jump in weight (5 or 10 pounds) on your next workout.

Also, do this: take a big breath before each rep and contract down with your trunk musculature around that breath. Make your torso rigid. It should feel uncomfortable. Don't go so deep on the squat. Drive your hips straight up.

I filmed an update on my squat after yesterdays' training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjLs5J0peDo

I increased the weight with 5 kg (about 10 pounds), and it felt ok. I tried to follow the advice I got from you guys, and I do feel like I succeeded in tightening the bar grip and having more of a "bounce" at the bottom, but I am a bit concerned about the hip drive, in this video it almost seems like I don't have any drive at all.
    One thing I certainly have learnt is the larger-than-expected involvement of upper-body and arms in the exercise, I don't even know if my back and grip is tight enough yet but I certainly do feel a big difference in each rep. Please let me know what you think about this update. Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Looks good, you just need to look slightly more down, like below the mirror.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast