starting strength gym

Thread: Should i get back on SS

Default Should i get back on SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Mark , about 8 months ago i did SS and experienced the best gains in terms of Strength and Size ever. During that time , i was constantly breaking PRs every workout. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately i fell sick and everything came to a halt. I developed a calf problem and never continued on SS. I was about 5 weeks into the programme when that happen and i never had to reset on a lift. I still consider myself a newb since i can only bench 176lbs and can't really do more then 3 pullups.

Do you think i should go back on SS ?

Yes. You should never have gotten off it.

Thx for the reply Mark.

In the past when i did SS , i always had a spotter who would put his hands under the bar throughout my movement and sometimes give a little push when i'm struggling. Now is this good measurement of the progress i'm making if i manage to increase my bench by 5lbs every workout? or should i just attempt it with him just watching and not supporting at all.

I suggest that you actually read the fucking book.

If he touches the bar when you can still move it you should punch him in the face for screwing up your set. You don't know what you did or what he did, and last time I checked, benching is not a team sport.

Unless the bar has reversed direction and is quickly travelling downwards toward my throat then touching the bar before I complete my reps is an unforgiveable sin, and the perpretrator of such an act must be dealt with swiftly and justly.

It is unacceptable to be training the bench while your buddy lightly curls the weight up for you, while wearing his Ipod and reassuring you and the rest of the gym that "It's all you, Bro!!"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I suggest that you actually read the fucking book.
    Reading is hard.