starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Build A Mobile War Chest

Default Help Me Build A Mobile War Chest

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I drive a lot for my job. Bouncing all over NY NJ and New England. It fucked up my training pretty badly to the point that i had to quit training. Since i cant quit my job. I realized i need to bring shit with my to keep me at it.

And since I cant take my barbell and bumpers with me everywhere i need a Kettlebell.
    I looked at adjustables etc since i dont know if ill ever need more than 1 or 2. I really cant make up my mind about weight etc. Currently http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/ has a 15% off sale which makes them about $1 PP. + S&H. Also http://www.ironskullfitness.com look SICK.

So my question is this, based off of only planning on purchasing 2 KB should i go balls out and grab a 53 and a 70 pounder? or should i get 2 of the same weight. I figure with 2 different weights i can rotate each on squats etc. and eventually ill grow into rocking the 70 anyway. But i see a lot of same weight movements and wonder if that is ideal.

My current mobile war chest includes,
    a pair of adj. DB. And a military duffle bag to use as my sandbag. doorway chin up bar

If you have any other mobile suggestions much appreciated.

I suggest buying bands as you can do a almost everything with them except olympic lifts. They don't a lot of space too and you can wear them if you forgot your suspenders. lol

Buy 2 different weights if you have money for only 2. Swings and snatches are better with one KB IMO.

What type of kettlebell exercises are you planning to do, besides squats?

I got a few bands forgot about using them outside of stretching

Well I'm essentially a kb noob. I think a 53 is good for swings to start.. Eventually adding thrusters then presses.

Bands are DEFINITELY a plus.

Just a few exercises off the top of my head...well..several..

Band Pull Aparts
    Band Face Pulls
    Band Rows
    Band Lat Pulldowns
    Banded Curls
    Band Tricep Extensions
    Band Presses
    Band Clean (More like up right row) and Presses

Probably soooo much more!

With a KB, some conditioning sand bags and bands, you can probably perform some killer conditioning work outs to keep you in shape. Definitely won't get you to a 495lb squat but you will be great shape if done right.

Do you know how much you can press overhead with a KB? I'd go with one that I could only lift once or twice, and one that I could lift for a moderate number of reps (maybe 6). I think Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell suggests something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Do you know how much you can press overhead with a KB? I'd go with one that I could only lift once or twice, and one that I could lift for a moderate number of reps (maybe 6). I think Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell suggests something like this.
    at this juncture? probably something pathetic. considering i just started lifting again etc. I got pretty strong OHP a BB. So im not scared to fail for awhile.

I just cant decide if i need 2 of the same weight or 2 different. But i see your point about 2 different weights. I highly doubt i can press a 70 pound right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead316 View Post
    Bands are DEFINITELY a plus.

Just a few exercises off the top of my head...well..several..

Band Pull Aparts
    Band Face Pulls
    Band Rows
    Band Lat Pulldowns
    Banded Curls
    Band Tricep Extensions
    Band Presses
    Band Clean (More like up right row) and Presses

Probably soooo much more!

With a KB, some conditioning sand bags and bands, you can probably perform some killer conditioning work outs to keep you in shape. Definitely won't get you to a 495lb squat but you will be great shape if done right.
    Only problem with bands is that it's going to be hard putting them in if i have a KB or 2 to throw around. But I will carry a few. Ive been googling the crap out of sandbags. Cant come to a decision what to fill my bag with. Sand isnt ideal being that if it punctures my car will be a bigger disaster than it already is.

At least you'll have your car to push around.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidlyfat View Post
    At least you'll have your car to push around.
    And I'll save on gas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast