starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I kindly ask for educated comments on my squat.

3rd set of 3 sets of five @ 70 kg (155 lb). I already was at 78 kg (172 lb), but hurt my knee (meniscus surgery 4 years ago) at 79 kg (174 lb). So I deloaded and now I'm working up again, but want to nail my form until my knee feels ok again.

Thanks

Not bad. You are starting with your elbows a little too high. Your back goes through mild waves of extension and flexion as you descend. Drop your elbows a little and get tighter. Don't work to arch your back. Just stand up as normally as possible and don't let anything move as you descend. Tighten down around your held breath. Keep your chin down.

Where do you train that has all that Eleiko kilo iron?

Thanks for the feedback. Will work it in and post a follow up. Really need to nail the form to be able to go up with the weights without reinjuring all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Where do you train that has all that Eleiko kilo iron?
    I train at "Das Gym". This is German and means "The Gym" in English. It's probably the most awesome strength training facility one can wish for. Some crazy guys opened it here in Vienna/Austria/Europe in April this year and it happens to be located on the other side of a 45 min. walk through a park from my apartment. It's equipped with 7 double sided EliteFTS Power Racks, ~30 Eleiko PL Bars, 4 Oly Lifting Platforms with plenty Eleiko Oly Lifting Bars, Eleiko Competition Benches, plenty of Eleiko weight in Iron and Bumpers, all kind of Special Bars, Strongman stuff (Atlas Stones, Eleiko Competition Kettlebells, Logs, Viking Press, even a replica of the Husafell Stone), two sets of Watson Dumbells plus benches, a second floor with a ~ 40m synthetic turf for pushing several prowlers, pulling sleds, carrying Yokes, sandbags, whatnot. Battleropes, climbing ropes, pegboard, even a rotating pole that is used by some of the girls. A Callisthenics area, monkey bars, endless pullup variations. Plus a bunch of heavy duty machines to please the bodybuilding crowd.

On the negative side it's easy to be distracted by all this stuff, but once you discipline yourself you will never again wait for a power rack.

Btw, a few times a year they close it for some seminars/camps, recently they did a camp for advanced powerlifters with Mike Tuchscherer, so if you ever come back to Europe to do some Camps that might be a place to consider ;-)

Intelligent Strength - Institute of Physical Education

Tom, would knee sleeves or wraps help with confidence or be a crutch based on his injury history?

Quote Originally Posted by wwg View Post
    if you ever come back to Europe to do some Camps that might be a place to consider ;-)
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshy View Post
    Tom, would knee sleeves or wraps help with confidence or be a crutch based on his injury history?
    If the OP wanted sleeves or a light wrap, he should absolutely use them.

Follow up. I now take a narrower grip, I hope that this helps me to stay tighter.

Those look really good. Just drop your elbows a bit.

*Gasp* Knee sleeves! :-)

starting strength coach development program
    @Tom: Thanks for fixing my squat, feels completely different now. Can't wait to work up the weight after vacation.

@Harshy: Thanks for the pointer, I wear those neoprene sleeves now throughout the whole workout. Keeping the knees warm really does help a lot.