starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Lift Lesson for Self

Default Dead Lift Lesson for Self

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I find what I write down I retain hence this post. On Saturday I was doing my DLs at my work set weight and on the second rep I noticed I was lifting with a rounded back. Once I set it back down and got correctly set and lifted again it was quite noticeable for the follow on reps how much easier it was with correct form. I have to remember to take the time with each lift and each rep to use proper form!

Most people worry way too much about trying to having the perfect Deadlift technique.

I find I can deadlift more weight if I do not follow the official SS form for setup.

at our advanced ages avoiding injury is important. I find following SS form helps to prevent injuries. I'd rather lose a few pounds on my lifts rather than risk injury. I think a rounded back is less safe - for me. Maybe for you its fine!

I'll second muntz on this. Especially after having fucked up my back last Friday by inadvertently mistaking 25 kilo plates for 25 lb. plates. Hard to do your planned triples with a weight you can only do singles with.

Nail down your form. I have found sticking with the SS model for deadlifts has never hurt my back. My injuries came from form breakdown and the occasional brain fart on loading.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    at our advanced ages avoiding injury is important. I find following SS form helps to prevent injuries. I'd rather lose a few pounds on my lifts rather than risk injury. I think a rounded back is less safe - for me. Maybe for you its fine!
    I wasn't talking about lifting with a rounded back. It was that I use a much lower hip position on my starting set up than the official form. That way I'm not fighting to lock my back into extension before I start the lift like I am with the official form.

There is no "one size fits all" technique for any of the lifts, everyone is different. Just tweaking things a little can make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    There is no "one size fits all" technique for any of the lifts, everyone is different. Just tweaking things a little can make a huge difference.
    I agree. It is a bit like shooting a rifle. The military teaches every scrub the same way, but that way is used because it works well enough to get a bunch of scrubs able to hit their target consistently. There might be adjustments and techniques that make you quicker or more accurate that you use once you have the basic form down. The techniques from starting strength are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    There is no "one size fits all" technique for any of the lifts, everyone is different.
    Agreed.
    But I think it's also true that in every lift there are some invariants that need to be respected.
    Clearly, the two are not mutually exclusive.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    I will always following the prescribed direction. On the few occasions that I hurry the lift and miss a step I can feel it in my back. Once one gets used to the form it is not difficult to always do it. I do not wish to be crippled for the rest of my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast