starting strength gym

Thread: Posterior Deltoid Pain while Bench Pressing

Default Posterior Deltoid Pain while Bench Pressing

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am a beginner on Starting Strength and have started the program just a month back. Yesterday I had excruciating pain while bench pressing 36.5 Kgs. The warm ups sets (1x5) were done at 6.5 kg(BB weight), 16.5 kg, 26.5 kg and 31.5 kg. There was no pain during the warm ups and the previous work sets for Bench Press were 34.5 kg. I had the pain in posterior deltoid (above tricep and shoulder). The pain was stabbing and concentrated at a single point, I couldn't even complete single rep so left the Bench Press workout. However there was no pain while Squats or Deadlifting. I weigh 70 kg and 5'5". Can anyone explain the cause or corrective method so that i do not have to take a break from Bench Pressing. Sorry, couldn't take video of the form. Any help would be appreciated, TIA.

It sounds like a damaged rotator cuff.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Gabor. Can you suggest what might be causing it ? Further, should i continue to bench press with a different grip (will try to upload video for the next workout) or should i use dumbbell press ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor129 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor129 View Post

Really hard to determine this from the limited information given.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Really hard to determine this from the limited information given.
    Agreed, however first off should go to a doctor and proceed from there, if the doc says it is okay to lift then it is up to you how much pain you can handle. Should see a doctor first thought!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first thought would be that you are flaring your elbows too wide, and it's causing shoulder impingement. That's a common cause of pain, especially among inexperienced lifters. Try keeping your elbow a bit closer to your sides, and read the book!

starting strength coach development program
    You also might just have a trigger point located somewhere in the shoulder, even one of the rotator cuff muscles. If you can find the right place to massage, either with a lacrosse ball or some other blunt tool, you might find quick relief. For my similar problem, there was a place right above the armpit on the back of the shoulder that did the trick. You can identify the point when it hurts when you press firmly on it.