starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for opinion on X-rays.

Default Asking for opinion on X-rays.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello.

A few months ago I posted a squat video because of my lower back pain always at around 110 kg. I went and took an X-ray and I hope to get your opinion on it.

My Physiotherapy doctor said there is a mild scoliosis of the whole back, and some problem at L5 and L7, with not enough space or something. I got prescribed a therapy to learn the "muscle strengthening" exercises to fix it.

I said I already squat and deadlift and she said "good, good" until I said I lift around 110kg for reps, then she told me that I should stop loading the spine and do higher reps with lower weight. What's your opinion on that suggestion, considering L5 and L7 position?

Thank you very much for your time.

X-rays:

I cannot evaluate x-rays for shit, so this is well outside of my wheelhouse. However, you have some lower back pain. Lots of people do. Assuming you are squatting correctly, this may not be consequential. An x-ray won't show disc herniations, but, at the end of the day, what are you going to do? High reps, low weight won't make you, or your back, stronger. None of the pathologies you mention above are problematic, or uncommon. You would probably be better served by finding a coach and getting on with making your numbers go up. How tall are you and what do you weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I cannot evaluate x-rays for shit, so this is well outside of my wheelhouse. However, you have some lower back pain. Lots of people do. Assuming you are squatting correctly, this may not be consequential. An x-ray won't show disc herniations, but, at the end of the day, what are you going to do? High reps, low weight won't make you, or your back, stronger. None of the pathologies you mention above are problematic, or uncommon. You would probably be better served by finding a coach and getting on with making your numbers go up. How tall are you and what do you weigh?
    Maybe a belt would help? At least it couldn't hurt..

Assuming he knows how to squat, it might be of use. 110 kg is a little early for a belt in many cases, but I suspect form coupled with underrecovery/underweight might be causing this. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbass View Post
    Hello.

My Physiotherapy doctor said there is a mild scoliosis of the whole back, and some problem at L5 and L7
    There's no such thing as L7. There are 5 lumbar vertebrae. If your PT actually said this you might wish to disregard her X-ray interpretation.

Assuming he knows how to squat, it might be of use. 110 kg is a little early for a belt in many cases, but I suspect form coupled with underrecovery/underweight might be causing this. We shall see.
    Thank you for the reply.
    I am 5'9" and weigh 200 pounds. For higher reps I thought that muscles would hypertrophy a bit more and provide more cushion for the spine, while I do their therapy program, but I'm talking out of my ass. Underrecovery might be a problem too, but it's weird that I always get back pain at around the same weight, since I've deloaded three times already and worked up to 110kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbass View Post
    Thank you for the reply.
    I am 5'9" and weigh 200 pounds. For higher reps I thought that muscles would hypertrophy a bit more and provide more cushion for the spine, while I do their therapy program, but I'm talking out of my ass. Underrecovery might be a problem too, but it's weird that I always get back pain at around the same weight, since I've deloaded three times already and worked up to 110kg.
    If you weighed 155, I would be more worried. Are you anywhere near a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    There's no such thing as L7. There are 5 lumbar vertebrae. If your PT actually said this you might wish to disregard her X-ray interpretation.
    I assume that is a typo, but this is a good point.

I assume that is a typo, but this is a good point.
    I might remember it wrong, but there was something about number 7 after L5. I am from Slovenia and don't know any coaches I could trust. Traveling is too expensive at the moment.

As far as I remember Rip said that equally loaded spine in extension shouldn't get hurt (duh). I am more worried that my spine is not properly loaded because of L5 and that's where the pain comes from. I'll try to deload again and stick with the program.

starting strength coach development program
    What did your squat look like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast