starting strength gym
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weak bench?

Default Weak bench?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm 16, around around 140 lbs. Been working out for approximately 1.5 years. I didn't follow a program and didn't really have a lot of knowledge of strength and mainly trained to get stronger and bigger for soccer. I made some noobgains and saw pretty good results but my lifts still weren't high at all. I was a pretty average skinny guy and didn't have a lot of knowledge about nutrition.
    I've now been on SS for about month and my lifts have gone up. My daily calorie intake is between 3000-3200.

Squat: 176 to 225 lbs
    Deadlift: 198 to 242 lbs
    OHP: 44 to 92 lbs
    Bench 110 to 135

I can't seem to get stronger at the bench!! I was benching when I first joined a gym but I wasn't consistent with it and I benched on and off during the first year and half. I've read SS and feel like I have a good handle on the correct form but I might still not preform it the right way which would explain my lack of progress. I've asked trainers at the gym to look at my bench and according to them I bench correctly but i'm still not seeing much progress on the bench. What I've noticed is that I feel like my arms take over a lot of the weight on the bar, even though I raise my chest as high as I can, keep my ass on the bench, and keep my lower back arched. My arms get fatigued after a couple of working sets and my forearms start get shaky. At that point I know that I can only get a couple of reps more before I hit failure. That's really a big part of the problem, I hit failure on the bench really fast. And after like 3 reps on my final set I can't seem to get the bar up, my arms shake and I have to rack it. Appreciate any advice!

Stay with it, keep going and be patient. Your bench may have been a bit further along at the get go. You're close 1xBW already. How tall are you now? Aren't you still growing? Do the program with enough nutrition and sleep and the other lifts will drive the bench up. Be patient and don't let yourself get worried and distracted.
    Last edited by VikingCellist; 11-20-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Video of your bench. Also, eat more.

I'm around 1.75 m (5.7)

Bench more. Volume. As a teen i benched 3 days a week. Bench. Bench. Bench. Takes a long time

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Bench more. Volume. As a teen i benched 3 days a week. Bench. Bench. Bench. Takes a long time
    He's 16, weighs 140, and squats 225. You really think the solution for him is to do something other than follow the novice program and eat?

I'd venture a guess that eating more and getting your bodyweight up will be the biggest benefit. Obviously you need to keep benching; benching thrice per two weeks I didn't begin to see really good progress until I started getting heavier. At 5'7" you could probably benefit from getting your bodyweight up to at least 160.
    Oh, and get microplates so you can load in 2.5 lb increments.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenbuilder View Post
    I'm around 1.75 m (5.7)
    Exactly. You're only 2lb/inch. That's itty bitty. You should be shooting for closer to 3lbs/inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Exactly. You're only 2lb/inch. That's itty bitty. You should be shooting for closer to 3lbs/inch.
    This is an excellent recommendation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Hear that Skillin?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast