starting strength gym

Thread: Question: how to reset deads after stalling at 1x3 on HLM

Default Question: how to reset deads after stalling at 1x3 on HLM

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    49 years old. 5'10 190lbs.

For a few months I ran HLM doing 3x5 (1x5 on deads). I was dieting and running at the time. After stalling 7 weeks ago I stopped dieting and running and switched to 3x3 (1x3 for deads) and kept adding weight. Recently I stalled on deads at 430, never getting more than 2 after 3 attempts.

Prior to recent weeks, my 1RM was 405 and I weigh less than I did when I hit that. So, I'm generally happy with this lift. One goal for me is to pull 500x1 when I'm 50. I might not get there, and it isn't my most important goal, but would be nice to move this lift up.

Since my other lifts are going well, I'm gonna stay with HLM, but reset deads. I'm considering two choices: A) Reset 15% and do 1x5 B) reset 10% and do 1x3. C) Something else?Any thoughts here?

Gracias.

P.S.: I've ordered the book and am considering the SS Online Training, but curious what y'all think..

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    49 years old. 5'10 190lbs.

For a few months I ran HLM doing 3x5 (1x5 on deads). I was dieting and running at the time. After stalling 7 weeks ago I stopped dieting and running and switched to 3x3 (1x3 for deads) and kept adding weight. Recently I stalled on deads at 430, never getting more than 2 after 3 attempts.

Prior to recent weeks, my 1RM was 405 and I weigh less than I did when I hit that. So, I'm generally happy with this lift. One goal for me is to pull 500x1 when I'm 50. I might not get there, and it isn't my most important goal, but would be nice to move this lift up.

Since my other lifts are going well, I'm gonna stay with HLM, but reset deads. I'm considering two choices: A) Reset 15% and do 1x5 B) reset 10% and do 1x3. C) Something else?Any thoughts here?

Gracias.

P.S.: I've ordered the book and am considering the SS Online Training, but curious what y'all think..
    It could be that 1x3 isn't enough volume - maybe add a back off set or two to see if that gets things moving before a reset.