starting strength gym

Thread: Question about "Stop Wasting Money - Nutrition that Actually Works" Article

Default Question about "Stop Wasting Money - Nutrition that Actually Works" Article

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coaches, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the Whey Protein recommendations in this article. The author states:

Dosage: 20g of whey contains about 3g of the amino acid leucine. Leucine is the amino acid most effective at building muscle in terms of the signaling of muscle protein synthesis (MPS) and 3–4g per meal will maximize this process. Contrary to popular “bro-lief”, anything consumed above this threshold WILL be digested and utilized, yet only as fuel or for futile metabolic reactions. It is also important to note that a relationship between high protein diets and kidney damage is unfounded in healthy individuals.

Timing: There is a 3–5 hour period that must pass between doses in order to yield consecutive bouts of MPS. Additional protein consumed earlier will not contribute to MPS.
    I'm a little confused at the actual dosage/timing recommendation and had a few questions.
    - Is the prescription 20g of whey as needed in addition to meals to meet protein requirements (i.e., every 3-5 hours)?
    - I recognize that all protein will be utilized, but I'm not sure what is meant by, "yet only as fuel or for futile metabolic reactions," or if that is just sarcasm? (statement with a question mark)
    - Does this mean having more than 3g of Leucine (e.g., 20g protein) at any one time is a waste because although it is being used, it isn't being used efficiently for MPS?
    - What are these "futile metabolic reactions" and when we say fuel, does that mean converted to energy through Gluconeogenesis?
    - Is there anything else it looks like I'm missing based off the above questions

Thanks!

I am not the author, nor a nutrition expert, but that never stopped me before. I will take a crack at these and perhaps others will correct me, or provide details.

You don't need 20 g of whey in addition to each of your meals. Twenty grams of whey does, however, have about enough leucine to keep muscle protein synthesis chugging along. In terms of MPS, once you have 3 to 4 g of leucine, additional leucine will not further speed the process of growing skeletal muscle. Or so we think at the moment. I am not sure if the metabolic reactions with additional protein are really "futile," but they won't necessarily build more muscle. Gluconeogenesis is probably the big thing that happens with the extra protein. That is metabolically expensive, but is it futile? I dunno.