starting strength gym

Thread: rest days

Default rest days

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    If one is attempting to train 3x per week (TM, etc), how many rest days are too many? I can't do MWF because of a rotating work schedule, so what if I have 2-3 days rest between lifting sessions? Is it too much? Right now, I'm trying to stick as much as possible to 1 lift per day, but even that sometimes requires missed days based on longer (or more tiring) than usual work days. I'm toying with the idea of going back to the 3 x week model but it's definitely going to require up to 3 days of rest sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysthinkin View Post
    If one is attempting to train 3x per week (TM, etc), how many rest days are too many? I can't do MWF because of a rotating work schedule, so what if I have 2-3 days rest between lifting sessions? Is it too much? Right now, I'm trying to stick as much as possible to 1 lift per day, but even that sometimes requires missed days based on longer (or more tiring) than usual work days. I'm toying with the idea of going back to the 3 x week model but it's definitely going to require up to 3 days of rest sometimes.
    10 day cycle?

5 days: LBBS, Press, DL, Clean, Bench. there's almost always a rest day or two in there because of work.

Try a 10-day week, instead of a 7-day week

What do you mean?

I believe he means to lift 3x in a 10-day period as opposed to in a 7-day period.

I'm guessing on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off for 5 workouts every 10 days.

Ok that's what I was getting at, if 3x spaced out longer than a standard 7 day week would work since I'll have more rest days than just one in between sessions.

On off on wont work with my work chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysthinkin View Post
    Ok that's what I was getting at, if 3x spaced out longer than a standard 7 day week would work since I'll have more rest days than just one in between sessions.

On off on wont work with my work chart.
    There's nothing wrong with an extra day in between lifting days. I think a program that works multiple lifts a day would be better at staving off any detraining. I think doing TM over 10 days would be better than one lift per day because you'd be keeping technique more honed by squatting more often.

starting strength coach development program
    I kind of felt that way too, I just didn't wanna upset my apple cart with too many rest days especially since I'm still making progress on one lift per day.