starting strength gym

Thread: Senior's home adventure

Default Senior's home adventure

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So I've talked this activities coordinator in a local senior's home into letting me do some personal weight training with the folks there. Since this is voluntary she let me do it although I have no formal qualification (a big issue here). I got some great advice and encouragement from dear Dana Zilber and plunged into it. First session was amazing (84 and 91 y/o charming guys), but the coordinator said she had a hard time talking her boss into letting me continue, not having any cert. Finally the good won, and they want me to work with 5 guys every time (thus the coordinator herself will assist me – she does have the cert). Now looking for some extra-light equipment for a small group. Very excited. Wish me luck. Also, ANY advice will be gratefully appreciated.

This is wonderful, good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Quote Originally Posted by Kelli Nielson View Post
    This is wonderful, good luck!!
    Thanks, need it.

What cert are referring to?

Good luck with the coaching, take things slow and go step by step. Andy Baker has lots of good materials on training older folk and the new book is out which I expect will also be required reading.

I coach a couple of older guys 71 and 80, they're not as frail as people think but recovery does take longer and often it's the eccentric portion of the lifts that they have more difficulties with.

Wish you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekingman View Post
    What cert are referring to?

Good luck with the coaching, take things slow and go step by step. Andy Baker has lots of good materials on training older folk and the new book is out which I expect will also be required reading.

I coach a couple of older guys 71 and 80, they're not as frail as people think but recovery does take longer and often it's the eccentric portion of the lifts that they have more difficulties with.

Wish you all the best.
    Thank you very much.
    I've also noticed a difficulty in the eccentric part of the Squat, but I thought it was a combination of fear, weakness of the quads, and wrong knee movement (not pushing the knees out...).
    I've ordered the book yesterday.
    Thanks again.