starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People who don't warmup

Default People who don't warmup

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm new to Starting Strength and I see that it emphasizes progression and warmup sets. I go to the gym all the time and see guys walk in and throw on 120 pounds and start bench press or deadlifts. What are the consequences of working out without doing any progression or warmup?

Thanks

If the guy is deadlifting 505, 120 (?) is a warmup. Your gym and every gym on earth -- with rare exceptions -- is full of stupid people. They either get hurt or make no progress. You'll have to come to grips with this soon, or you will be committed to the funny farm.

I always start my DL warmup at 135 and I'm certainly not lifting 505. You're warm from the squat and deadlifting with anything less than 135 fucks with the mechanics unless you have full-diameter light plates (which I've found to be somewhat rare).

Obviously this doesn't hold if you're DLing less than ... I don't even know the number. 200 maybe? But OP, yes, warm ups = sweet buttery goodness.

Kyle Schuant Guest

If you watch, you'll see that a large number of males toss a 45 on each side and bench or squat 135. Then they toss another 10-35 on each side and half-squat or half-bench. Then more weight, and quarter-squat, and the bench is assisted by their buddy doing an upright row and saying, "it's all you, bro."

Six months later, these same guys are putting a 45 on each side and...

This may surprise you, but most people have no fucking clue how to squat or bench press, and still less idea of how to properly warm up, and progress the resistance over time.

I start with just the bar in most things but with deadlifts I prefer to load it up with 45lb plates first because it puts the bar at the correct height. Even then it's a small percentage of my working weight and I can get away with it, I think.

Do other people start their deadlift warmups with just the bar?

I always do warm-up sets usually at 40%, 50%, 60% prior to my work sets. I REALLY need to warm up my shoulders prior to bench pressing so I will do a little mobility work then push an empty bar 20x's or so just to get my shoulders warmed up. No matter what the lift, I HAVE to get warmed up or my productivity is crap or worse, I'll hurt something. I cannot imagine lifting cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Crhis View Post
    Do other people start their deadlift warmups with just the bar?
    When I first started training 12 weeks after surgery to reattach my distal biceps tendon I would warm up for deads with RDL's. I started with the empty bar.

The consequences of not warming up are that you will eventually injure yourself. You can get away with it more when you're starting out and not lifting as heavy, but can you imagine walking into the gym off the street and trying to squat 600lbs?

What annoys me most is seeing you kids in the gym with an adult "coaching" him who has no fucking clue what he is doing. Having a 13 year old kid start who weighs MAYBE 120 squatting with 135 and no prior warm up makes me extremely angry because sooner or later the kid is going to get hurt from not warming up properly.

starting strength coach development program
    The biggest advantage I find from my warmup sets is that it helps stretch me out. This in turn makes it easier to get proper form going into the work sets weight. Seriously, the first bar-only warmups on my squats my hands are wider grip and I can't quite get all the way down. By the time I get to the last warm-up set, everything is where it is supposed to be.

Deadlifts always start with 135. Don't have any plates sized like a 45, but lighter. /shrug By the time I get to the deadlifts (last), everything else is already warmed up and stretched out thanks to those squats.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast