starting strength gym

Thread: 29 y/o female thought squats were a pain in the ass

Default 29 y/o female thought squats were a pain in the ass

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been doing SS for just over a year with a few starts and stops. My squat is now at a personal PR of #175. When I was hovering between 150-160 I kept getting a pain in the fascia above my right glute for days after, but not during the movement. The pain scared me into keeping my weight around 160. Last week I decided to go for it and increase by 5 every time. As my squat weight has increased, the pain disappeared. (Imagine that, I followed the program and things improved!) Now I only feel it when I'm sitting in the car for long periods of time (probably with poor posture).
    My husband suggested I post videos of my squat to see if there were any suggestions on how to avoid that kind of pain.

These are from Sunday the 7th at 175lbs.

Thanks for taking a look.

From the Side:
    http://youtu.be/OpAouPm0CEI

From the Back:
    http://youtu.be/EKihY_H8bhw

Over all not bad, however a few suggestions:

Your feet are a little wide, bring them in slightly maybe an inch on both sides. (Spitballing here because it's tough to be precise from a video).
    Shove your knees out a little harder (which should be easier with your feet in the proper position.
    Cut the depth off a little bit, your really dropping into the bottom which indicates a looseness at the bottom, that looseness is counter to helping you move more weight.
    Hands looks a little wide. Bring them in slightly and raise your elbows. This will create more tightness through your thoracic spine.

Overall, not bad, just tweaks that will help as you continue to add weight. FWIW, if you're following the program, you should be squatting 200 in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the tips. Honestly 200lbs still seems impossible, because I haven't gotten through the mental block. Just to clarify, for my knees, they always want to squeeze in as I come up. I'm assuming that is where I need to shove them out?
    Any clue what part of my form could have been causing the pain?

Nothing jumps out at me from these two clips that screams injury.

You need to learn to shove your knees out. Re-read my first post, make corrections, keep adding weight.

Or keep squatting 175lbs which we already have determined you are not satisfied with.

Sounds good! Thanks for your help!