starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift revamping

Default Deadlift revamping

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For years, I have been rolling the bar forward with my shins prior to my pull in order to get my back flat because my hamstring flexibility is so limited. I got up to around 400 lb deadlift this way but my form got really bad. I decided recently to significantly reset to 275 and make sure my form is perfect SS form. Attached is today's 275. The angle isn't that good but I wanted to get my low back in the video. I'm focusing extremely hard on not lowering my ass after touching shins to bar and not rolling the bar forward--I'm fighting very hard to get my chest up, this is simply as flat as my back will get without rolling the bar forward. How do these look? Any tips and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated--this lift has always been my weak link (my squat is always well above my DL). Also, should you actually feel a stretch in the hamstrings In your setup before you pull? Thanks!

DL reset - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Chickma2 View Post
    Also, should you actually feel a stretch in the hamstrings In your setup before you pull? Thanks!
    Yes.

How do these look? Any tips and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated--this lift has always been my weak link (my squat is always well above my DL).
    These look pretty good. You try to sit back on rep #4, but not too much. I'd like a video with a better angle (see the sticky at the top of the forum for what we're looking for). You may want to try a shoe with some heel. Also, are you turning your toes out and pushing your knees out? Hard to tell from this view. Your grip might be too wide as well. All things we could see with a better video.

(my squat is always well above my DL).
    Are you sure your squat isn't high?
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 01-20-2016 at 08:09 PM.

For years, I have been rolling the bar forward with my shins prior to my pull in order to get my back flat because my hamstring flexibility is so limited. I got up to around 400 lb deadlift this way but my form got really bad. I decided recently to significantly reset to 275 and make sure my form is perfect SS form. Attached is today's 275. The angle isn't that good but I wanted to get my low back in the video. I'm focusing extremely hard on not lowering my ass after touching shins to bar and not rolling the bar forward--I'm fighting very hard to get my chest up, this is simply as flat as my back will get without rolling the bar forward. How do these look? Any tips and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated--this lift has always been my weak link (my squat is always well above my DL). Also, should you actually feel a stretch in the hamstrings In your setup before you pull? Thanks!

DL reset - YouTube
    Is that a 4 inch belt you are wearing? I happened to look at your 360 video right after this one ended and your mechanics aren't terrible but they do need some work. The most glaring issue I see is that you have a tendency to want to get behind the bar and open your hips first. ITs not that pronounced and it doesn't happen on every rep but one suggestion I have for you is to cue yourself to "stay over the bar." As far as your lumbar goes, if you are wearing a 4 inch belt I would suggest switching to a 3 inch belt if you are serious about getting your back flatter. See Rip's T-Nation article for the "why" behind this.

Thanks for the tips. Squats are not high, I've posted many videos, all approved and if anything I go too deep. The belt is not an issue either, I'm tall enough it doesn't get in the way. Here is a video of 285 from a good angle. let me know what you think.

285 DL reload - YouTube

Those deads look fine. If you narrowed your stance a little, it would not hurt my feelings. You are also taking a long time between reps. Go a little faster. Don't lean on the bar. The belt is too loose to do you any good. If the 4" belt is fighting you, try a 3".