starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prowler sled noise on asphalt?

Default Prowler sled noise on asphalt?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm thinking of getting a prowler (Anyone have experience with the PRIMED Power Sled from Dick's?) for use mainly on the street in front of my house. Are sleds as noisy as I would assume they are, what with the metal feet sliding over asphalt? I don't need to make more of a spectacle of myself.

Thanks.

-RJP

Yes, they are loud. The rougher the asphalt, the louder they are. Loud enough to disturb the neighbors? Depends on how grouchy your neighbors are. Do you live in a Cul de Sac, HOA neighborhood where the power lines are buried in the ground? If so, you may have problems.

If it's a decent hour to mow the lawn, it's a decent hour to use the prowler.
    After the first time,,themneighbors will promptly ignore you for fear yo may talk to them about it and offer them a turn.

Would using the econ type bumpers instead of metal plates on the Prowler have any effect on the noise?
    Last edited by Eric Davis; 02-02-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I don't need to make more of a spectacle of myself.
    I was a bit self-conscious the first time I did it, but once you start pushing, any concern about an audience evaporates. Lots of people will stop to talk to you about it while you're gasping for breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric220 View Post
    Would using the econ type bumpers instead of metal plates on the Prowler have any effect on the noise?
    No.

OP: It's loud like a lawnmower. Expect a few weird looks. If you're doing it right you won't be able to pay attention to the weird looks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    (Anyone have experience with the PRIMED Power Sled from Dick's?)
    -RJP
    That's good (current) price for that Dicks's prowler . . . and you get the tow leash and PoWeR harness . . . so that good I guess
    It only weights 49 lbs . . .the Elite Triangle type prowler weighs 70 I think.
    My CCF is pretty compact (weight pole front to back instead of side-by-side; simple T- design instead of big triangle) weighs 65# I think.
    So there's less steel used in the Dick's model; but just for home use/one person (not a gym setting) I'm sure its fine.

Being a spectacle?:
    Yeah they are a little loud. I bought my CFF model because it looked a little more compact than the big triangle side by side design.
    Was thinking if the spectacle thing / marking up asphalt / HOA thing got to be a problem . . . that particular model is a little easier to pick up; fits inside the bed of my little Nissan P/U truck to set up in a vacant parking lot or street with no houses, etc. Takes up slightly less space in garage too. In reality, its just a hair narrower.
    Main reason: it WAS what was physically in the store where I live, so I could buy it and use it right there and then.

If you go with the Rogue Butcher with the replaceable skis, it is MUCH quieter, and won't scratch concrete or asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    If you go with the Rogue Butcher with the replaceable skis, it is MUCH quieter, and won't scratch concrete or asphalt.
    Yeah, I have the butcher, but I never used the soft skis. I like to locate my house on google earth by looking for the prowler tracks in the alley.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm grouchy & live in one of those buried cable neighborhoods.

I would throw shit at you & tell you to buy an airdyne.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast