starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Depth Deeper on 1 side

Default Squat Depth Deeper on 1 side

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey coaches,

I've noticed that when I film my squats, I tend to go about 1 to 2 inches deeper when viewed from the right side vs the left side. This has been confirmed in coaching sessions with my SSC (Dave A - Chicago). Dave did not see any major form issues that would contribute to this.

Have you seen this before? And are there are any potential fixes?

Also, I struggled to get below parallel consistently...mostly when viewed from the bad (left side). Should I consider the left side at parallel to be a legit rep, since I know that means the right side is below? Or should I only evaluate from the right side? Or.....do I force myself to go deep enough so my left is below (causing my right to be 2 to 3 inches below)?

I do not compete other than the SS Fall classic, and any competitions I may enter in the future would be for fun and to give my training focus. So hard core competition and judging is not something I'm worried about.

thx

I've noticed that when you film your squats, we can't see them, because you didn't post a video.

Seems like something like this would be really fucking obvious from BEHIND, don't you think?

But I can't see THAT video, either.

No comment from the duly chastised idiot....who can't seem to consistently hit depth on his squats.

Here are 3 videos:

Good Side (right): Squat - Right Side - YouTube
    Bad Side (left): Squat - Left Side - YouTube
    Back (includes a single and a slowmo warm up): Squat - Back - YouTube

Note: When I checked out the Back videos on my ipad (and could easily slow them down) I did notice my right leg seems either higher, less knees out, or bigger...can't tell). If the videos suck, let me know and I'll give them another shot.

thanks again

I see what you mean but I also don't see much that can't be attributed to shitty lighting, and the lighting differences in the videos. In other news, re-label your hands, you have left and right ID'd wrong.

From the rear, it looks like on the descent you are moving to the right. Have you been checked for a leg length discrepancy?

Never been checked for leg length issues, didn't really noticed it until now. Giving that I'm a middle aged dude, just looking to get stronger and eventually squat 400lb, what's your suggestion? Should I use a shim (I'm not smart enough to figure out what leg to shim though!). And/or should my below parallel target be my deeper side or higher side? Again, serious competitions & judging aren't an issue, maybe the fall classics though.

starting strength coach development program
    Again, I'm not convinced that there is anything here that can't be explained by differences in the lighting on each side, since from behind I don't see anything going on. I would suggest: read the sticky, film with better light, and then we'll see. In the meantime, you MAY WISH to find a chiro or and ortho who knows what he's about (sorry for the patriarchy, ladies) to check and see if there is a leg length discrepancy. IF THERE IS, you would then use a shim, but until one is confirmed, no shim.