starting strength gym

Thread: Landmine press

Default Landmine press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In SSBBT Rippetoe writes about how the incline bench mimics the angle of pushing against an opponent in football and how some like the incline bench rather than the press for this reason. With the caveat that the bench takes the connection to the floor out of the movement.

Would the landmine press be a good movement for this reason? Obviously not suggesting replacing the Bench/Press, but it does mimic a similar angle without needing a bench and may be a useful assistance exercise. The only downside I can think of is getting into position with the bar might take a lot of energy when the weight gets heavy. But you could probably rig something up to make that easier if you really wanted to.

You've done them?

You don't find them absolutely fucking stupid/awkward?
    Last edited by John Hanley; 02-26-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6655321 View Post
    In SSBBT Rippetoe writes about how the incline bench mimics the angle of pushing against an opponent in football and how some like the incline bench rather than the press for this reason. With the caveat that the bench takes the connection to the floor out of the movement.

Would the landmine press be a good movement for this reason? Obviously not suggesting replacing the Bench/Press, but it does mimic a similar angle without needing a bench and may be a useful assistance exercise. The only downside I can think of is getting into position with the bar might take a lot of energy when the weight gets heavy. But you could probably rig something up to make that easier if you really wanted to.
    Rip said that the reason some Strength Coaches do Incline's is that it could mimic arms at an above 90 degree angle in sports. He was not saying this is a good idea:

"The incline bench press does this, albeit at the cost of the body's being supported at this angle while the work is being done, something that never occurs during the sports in question."

Also: "If you are doing both bench presses and presses, then everything that the incline bench press accomplishes is redundant: there is no aspect of shoulder and chest work that these two exercises do not more than adequately cover."

Get strong in the gym. Get better at your sport on the field

Quote Originally Posted by 6655321 View Post
    The only downside I can think of is getting into position with the bar might take a lot of energy when the weight gets heavy. But you could probably rig something up to make that easier if you really wanted to.
    . . . and as you tilt** the weight up even more load comes off the bar as it is raised.

. . . you realize alot of the load disappears into the floor at the start, even more as its tilted**.

. . . then, to make it even easier, you get a leverage advantage by grasping the end of the sleeve.

** (refuse to give the landmine exercise the respect/credit for the word 'push')

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    You don't find them absolutely fucking stupid/awkward?
    That's how you know it's working!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Rip said that the reason some Strength Coaches do Incline's is that it could mimic arms at an above 90 degree angle in sports. He was not saying this is a good idea:

"The incline bench press does this, albeit at the cost of the body's being supported at this angle while the work is being done, something that never occurs during the sports in question."

Also: "If you are doing both bench presses and presses, then everything that the incline bench press accomplishes is redundant: there is no aspect of shoulder and chest work that these two exercises do not more than adequately cover."

Get strong in the gym. Get better at your sport on the field
    I agree for newbies, but there were a lot of big pressers that used incline bench for carryover on their olympic press. It probably gives better carryover than the bench does. I still wouldn't do the landmind thing, but I don't think it is "case closed" for incline bench either.

What is a "bench dick"?

Done them and do them. It's good for some work and if your a natural athlete you can do a few things that help in sport. If it feels right why not give it a fair try. People have chosen worse things.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    What is a "bench dick"?
    I want to write something clever about Alex Trebek. Here's my clever place holder [<<<<titties for me>>>>>].

Help me with grammar:
    - I've done them
    - I don't do them
    - I (won't or shan't?) do them.

starting strength coach development program
    The way I do Inclines helps the connection to the floor I think. I use an ab Bench placed inside the Power Rack, since it's an ab Bench there's no seat so feet need to be planted and tension kept in the legs and hips to keep the weight from pushing you down the Bench. I recently hit 315 X 3 with this setup and my shoving game has always been a strong point at work.