starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM Intensity day stuck, only 3rd week

Default TM Intensity day stuck, only 3rd week

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    SS LP brought me to a 315 x 5 x 3 squat late last month. I started TM Intensity day with 315 x 5. This is the 3rd week of TM and I am already stuck on 325. I attempted 325 x 5, but ended up failing on the 4th rep. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do, switch to HLM? Or Perhaps just drop down to 2 sets of triples? Feels bad to only get 2 successful weeks of TM 5RM.

Heres my log if anyone want to see: heavyiron8 training logs

Default TM Intensity day stuck, only 3rd week

Last edited by Satch12879; 09-24-2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Leaving this for the more experienced.

Looking at your 325x5 you get loose on that 4th rep. This is probably why you failed. The first 3 moved well but you got progressively looser. I recommend you switch to 2x3 and focus on staying tight. After, cycle back to 5's. Your volume/intensity spread seems fine.

I'll focus on staying tighter.

I'm also wondering if adding another set on volume day would help, making it 6 sets of 5? Right now the volume days are not as brutal as PPST3 or most people are describing it suppose to be. It's no walk in the park, but it's not grindy at all either.

It's one workset. No big deal. You'll get it next week or the week after.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    I'll focus on staying tighter.

I'm also wondering if adding another set on volume day would help, making it 6 sets of 5? Right now the volume days are not as brutal as PPST3 or most people are describing it suppose to be. It's no walk in the park, but it's not grindy at all either.
    You just started V day. It won't be terrible because you took the correct deload when you started TM. Somebody else already posted that TM was easy in week 3. They came back later and said they were wrong.

I would think you could at least go through one iteration of TM, running out the rep ranges as ID goes up, successfully, without adding sets to VD.

I'd just try it again. If you finished LP at 315x5x3 then 325x5 shouldn't be a problem. Too early to change programs or add sets or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I'd just try it again. If you finished LP at 315x5x3 then 325x5 shouldn't be a problem. Too early to change programs or add sets or anything.
    So just move on to 295 x 5 x 5 and attempt 325 x 5 again? I'm just not sure what happened, its very strange to only get 3 reps, when 5 reps of 320 went just fine. I didn't lose weight, or lose much sleep. Diet could've been better, but not much change there either.
    Last edited by heavyiron8; 09-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    So just move on to 295 x 5 x 5 and attempt 325 x 5 again? I'm just not sure what happened, its very strange to only get 3 reps, when 5 reps of 320 went just fine. I didn't lose weight, or lose much sleep. Diet could've been better, but not much change there either.
    Just repeat the whole week. Volume day and intensity day weights the same.

starting strength coach development program
    Moving up 5 lbs on volume day wouldn't be better? Just wondering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast