starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes for squats and deadlifts

Default Shoes for squats and deadlifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The book says just get the damn shoes.

I already figured out that traditional running shows are bad.

So does that advice that even apply to someone who wears Nike Free 3.0s with no insoles? Free 3.0s have very low heels - only 3mm higher than the forefoot. They have minimal padding, and I don't even wear insoles in them.

In SS the shoes that are being referred to are weightlifting shoes. The Nike shoes in the post above are not weightlifting shoes. They even look soft.

Despite their lower height, those soles are softer than other running shoes.

I have those shoes. They are very comfortable, but they will not at all work as weightlifting shoes. Weightlifting shoes have hard soles, among other features, and as another poster said, these shoes have very soft and flexible soles. Hard soles are needed to keep a lifter's feet stable with a heavy load on his/her back.

Something like this;

or this;

Will work well for barbell training.

I use the Chuck tailors shown above and found some with a strap across mid foot that works great. I started in Addidas basketball shoes and that was a mistake

I have some odd very wide feet what with high arches, high insteps, a few broken ankles, and metatarsals over the years so I don't dare not try a shoe on rather than order it over the internet.

So bought some Adidas weightlifting shoes at the local Dick's Sporting goods for $89. Rip had his doubts about them when he saw me wearing them at a seminar so he had me toss one to him. Talk about a pucker factor waiting for a dry pronouncement of something like "You got ripped off ya' dang fool!" But no, he was pleasantly surprised and said they passed muster just fine. I like mine just fine. http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=m2kAeeaAFSe

I like Chuck Taylors.

Not only do you want a shoe with a solid insole, but a solid outsole as well. Flat bottom shoes also work best since your feet will not 'roll' under pressure.

When lifting, your feet push against the ground to drive the bar upward (as in a squat, press, or pull). If the sole of the shoe compresses, there is a loss of force transmission from your feet into the ground.

This VS Athletics video sums it up nicely:

starting strength coach development program
    Why wear shoes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast