starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What time do you train?

Default What time do you train?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I try my best to train after I've eaten so I've got plenty of energy.

Do you find your session is better when doing this? There will be times when I can't fit training in straight after a meal so I would like to know how it's effected.

Also what time of day do you train? Mine is either morning or after lunch.

I train at around 5-6.

I used to be an OCD (obsessive-compulsive dickhead) with regards to eating before training that I was already defeated before I got to the gym if I didn't eat as my routine dictates even though I was not hungry.

Nowadays, I figured that having some coffee + coconut oil pre-workout will do the trick. Hunger is more psychological than physiological unless of course you've fasted for half the day and jumped immediately to squat 5RM.

I train after work, typically 5-630. My wife and I eat dinner at 630 every night, so it is awesome to finish up the day's training & come right in to a hot meal.

On Sundays I train before lunch. Tuesday and Thursday I train after work and before dinner. I usually have a Whey shake at least a half hour before lifting and try to eat 30-60 minutes after.

I usually train at about 6pm. Usually 3-4pm if it's a weekend.

I work midnights and I would rather lift before - but life and the gym dictate otherwise so I always lift around 0800 no matter how tired or hungry. I don't know about coconut oil, but coffee does wonders.

During my work week I typically get in to train between 4:30 and 5:00 pm. I have a meal about two hours prior to that. On Sunday I'm in around 9:00 am. I'm an early riser.

Some people prefer not to eat prior to training, although I find most people benefit from it. I think most people could benefit from eating an hour or two prior to hitting the gym, plus whatever pre-workout supplement they take. I actually drink coffee before training. Most of the time I take the coffee in with me and drink it while I train. I don't know how unusual this is.

That's something I've been doing, although I don't drink coffee but tea. I think it could be a psychological help too.

Jsutt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforth View Post
    During my work week I typically get in to train between 4:30 and 5:00 pm. I have a meal about two hours prior to that. On Sunday I'm in around 9:00 am. I'm an early riser.

Some people prefer not to eat prior to training, although I find most people benefit from it. I think most people could benefit from eating an hour or two prior to hitting the gym, plus whatever pre-workout supplement they take. I actually drink coffee before training. Most of the time I take the coffee in with me and drink it while I train. I don't know how unusual this is.
    I've heard (no idea how reliable) that caffeine take around 20 minutes to have a physiological effect. I've found this to be reasonably accurate - if I chug an energy drink or coffee immediately before training or after a first crappy-feeling set it doesn't seem to make a real difference until I'm on to the next lift.

starting strength coach development program
    I train a few hours after waking, sometimes fasted, sometimes with a meal. I haven't noticed a difference, in fact I've had some of my best workouts fasted. I also have shitty insulin sensitivity. Not pre-diabetic, but when I went on a ketogenic diet with one weekly refeed, my fasting blood glucose was still in the high 80's and my ketone level barely registered. I think that has something to do with why it's easy for me to train fasted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast