starting strength gym

Thread: Bad hyperlordosis

Default Bad hyperlordosis

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Does anyone have any experience with hyperlordosis? I've had some back pain for a while now and finally went to see a physiotherapist on Monday. Whilst my pain was, up until recently, primarily in the mid back, I've for the last two weeks been getting really bad, constant low back pain. The physio told me that it's because my low back is so curved. And looking at pictures of hyperlordosis on the net, mines' is probably more fucked than any I've seen.

I've read Justin's post on it so I have a good idea of what I need to do... so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it, how long it took you to sort it out and any other tips.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I have it really bad as well (sometimes get lower back pain if I'm standing a lot), and there's a good chance that I can give you a run for your money on the degree of curvature.

It's very possible to train through it (in fact, it gives you somewhat of an advantage on the bench press, since you can get a really big arch almost without trying), but you have to be especially mindful of your back during squats and presses. I have to squeeze my abs a lot harder to keep my back in a neutral position, otherwise I easily overextend. A solid leather belt helps a lot (I have a 4-inch Inzer lever), and I use it for every set on presses--even if it's just the empty bar.

If you want to discuss specifics, PM me.

Thanks for your reply.

I can't actually train the squat (or deadlift) at the moment since my back is in so much pain, but I can train the overhead press and will have to be extra careful to keep my abs tight and not overextend my low back.

Cannot for the love of me find my psoas thought!