starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to front squat because of rotator cuff

Default Switching to front squat because of rotator cuff

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, I'm thinking of switching to a front squat because my rotator cuff seems to be injured and back squats really really aggravate it. When I switch, would I be able to do the same amount of weight on a front squat as I would with a back squat, or will I need to lower it a lot more?

Front squat is always lower than back squat.
    If it's your first time doing them , start with a weight you can do comfortably , and build up from there.
    Have you considered switching to high bar ?

Tried. It irritates my shoulder a bit less, but it hurts a lot resting the bar up there on my traps. I just want to do this temporarily for a couple weeks while I hope my arm gets better.

Agreed. Do not try to do the same weight on the front squat as the back squat. Be conservative with poundages on any new movement.

Quote Originally Posted by rickastlen View Post
    Tried. It irritates my shoulder a bit less, but it hurts a lot resting the bar up there on my traps. I just want to do this temporarily for a couple weeks while I hope my arm gets better.
    Your traps will get used to it, and high bar transfers to low bar better than front squats.

Whatever you decide, doing some mobility work with your rotator cuff / t-spine in the interim will help your shoulder recover.

I would drop aim for no more than 80% of BS work weight as a starting point. If that goes well, you can always increase the weight next time. If you're lower than you feel you should be, don't sweat. Even though it's a squat, it is very different from the back squat especially low bar back squats.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    I would drop aim for no more than 80% of BS work weight as a starting point.
    I would drop it a lot further back than 80%. A good rule of thumb is the FS is about 66% of the BS. In my own case I was handling over 600lbs in the back squat and when I decided to add in the FS to my routine I started with the empty bar and increased my weight 10lbs per week.

It is always smarter to start on the light side as you can always add weight faster from week to week.

80% to start ?! i don't think i can front squat 30% of my BS. I'm sure if i work i were to work it for a while it would get there but first there's form and ROM to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    I would drop it a lot further back than 80%. A good rule of thumb is the FS is about 66% of the BS. In my own case I was handling over 600lbs in the back squat and when I decided to add in the FS to my routine I started with the empty bar and increased my weight 10lbs per week.

It is always smarter to start on the light side as you can always add weight faster from week to week.
    It person to person quite a bit. It depends a lot on how advanced the back squat is and mobility of the lifter. I think that is a pretty low ratio, maybe more like a powerlifter ratio. (Nothing wrong with that). My own ratio is closer to 85-90% depending on the day.

If OP wants to use it as a substitute for BS (not adding it), I wouldn't start at empty bar and linear progress it.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    80% to start ?! i don't think i can front squat 30% of my BS. I'm sure if i work i were to work it for a while it would get there but first there's form and ROM to worry about.
    I did say NO MORE than 80%. OP wanted to do the same weight, and I suggested no more than 20% less of what was suggested. I agree that I wouldn't start out that high. I also have no idea if this person has good mobility/body propotions/training background/etc.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastlen View Post
    Hi, I'm thinking of switching to a front squat because my rotator cuff seems to be injured and back squats really really aggravate it. When I switch, would I be able to do the same amount of weight on a front squat as I would with a back squat, or will I need to lower it a lot more?
    I used to have the same problem. Do you rehab?
    Front squat is usually 80% of back but take it more conservatively if this is a new movement for you, lack of wrists and triceps flexibility could hinder you, work on stretching. Works mostly quads as there is very little if any hip drive.
    Have you tried Manta Ray?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast