starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting weights is HARD

Default Lifting weights is HARD

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'd like to know what everyone's experiences are with rep speed and how hard it is to lift.

Im 166 lbs at 5'9"
    On my Squats (225, recently had to deload to 185 due to loss of strength and tendonitus), DL (260 also had to deload to 225 because of terrible form), Press (105), Bench (155)... lifting is hard.
    I barely failed 3x5 160 on the bench (missed the last rep), but every single rep is a slow long drawn out struggle, with my arms shaking, face turning red, vessels erupting out of my forehead. (This happens with all my lifts)

I know lifting is supposed to be hard, but does anyone else have this much trouble at such low weights?
    Last edited by Daniel Wood; 08-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Bad news... it gets even harder.

.....but not in the same way. Form and knowing your pace will make the tough days more productive/rewarding.

As some one advised me here...it is supposed to be hard:-)

Two months ago, I struggled with 125 lb squats, and missed the first rep on 130. Very embarrassing.

Yesterday, I did 5x5 of 180 lb squats. Just as hard, but at the higher weight. Relatively slow progress because a) I am 53 and b) I am on a maintenance diet. But I find that I can still add 5 lbs to the bar every week, which is fine with me.

I would say though that just the last rep or two of each set should be the kind of struggle you describe. Are you resting enough between sets? I find I need 5-6 minutes.

Kumar, how does it feel to be stronger than your average sedentary 20 year old at 53 years of age? Worth the effort I bet.

While your peers deteriorate physically, you will get stronger. IMO, age 50 is probably the most important time to start a strength program if someone hasn't already.

Default I'm old too.

Female lifter. 5'10 at 160lbs. I'm 46 years old, I got my squat up to 3x5 125lbs. I can hit a few reps at 130, but I'm just smoked after that. I have made a lot of progress up till now. I think because we are not 25 anymore this may be the case. I have made great progress but it was damn slow, but it has totally paid off!

Yes, lifting weights is hard. I've had some sets of squats that rivaled a period in a high school wrestling match, or even the last mile of an 8k race from my cross country days. Not so with bench/press/deads, just squats.

[QUOTE]Female lifter. 5'10 at 160lbs. I'm 46 years old, I got my squat up to 3x5 125lbs. I can hit a few reps at 130, but I'm just smoked after that. I have made a lot of progress up till now. I think because we are not 25 anymore this may be the case. I have made great progress but it was damn slow, but it has totally paid off!/QUOTE]

Good job and welcome to the forum! You're stronger than one of my drinking buddies, and he is half your age. The poor guy lost his balance and crashed with 95 lbs on his back the last time I saw him in the university gym.

It never gets easier; you just get stronger.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneRooney View Post
    Kumar, how does it feel to be stronger than your average sedentary 20 year old at 53 years of age? Worth the effort I bet.

While your peers deteriorate physically, you will get stronger. IMO, age 50 is probably the most important time to start a strength program if someone hasn't already.
    Wayne, how I feel all depends on what - or who - I am comparing myself with at the time. Lots of people here, older than I am, who must be starting their warm up sets at my work set:-)

As to the starting time, it is akin to the old saying about planting a tree. The best time to plant one is twenty years ago, but failing that, do it now.
    Last edited by Kumar; 08-12-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast