starting strength gym

Thread: Bent barbell issues

Default Bent barbell issues

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Rip,

I've just seen the video in which you talk about barbells. I'm quite sure that my gym is full of bent barbells, so I decided to check it myself next time I go to the gym using the methods you explained. In the video you said (not surprisingly) that bent bars are not good, and you gave the example of the deadlift, where the plates will want to accomodate to the bar preferred position. You also talked about how a bent bar is still useful for squatting. My question is: Is there any other of the main lifts in which a bent bar can cause some other problems?

It seems to me that bent bars won't make big problems while pressing/bench pressing, and maybe some problems while power cleaning, but I'd like to know your opinion/experience.

Anytime a bar is carried in the hands, a bent bar can be a problem. If it's bent enough that the plates on the ends cause the middle of the bar to "right" itself into a stable position in your hands, the bar will spin in your grip during the lift. This is true for any press and any pull. If the bend is no more than about 2mm, it's not really a factor.

Although I like my gym, I train with bent barbells, so I have learned to accomodate the bent. There is two bars in particular that I look to use whenever possible. I marked the high spot on each by scoring the metal using a 2.5 pound plate. This way I know where the high side is. I dead, bench and clean with the high side facing up to minimze any twisting.

For presses, however, I use the bar's tendencey to rotate to my advantage: I point the high side mark up about 45 degrees away from me so that with the bar in my hands the bar tends to want to rotate back slightly. This helps me press the bar straight up by tilting back ever so slightly. The effect is very, very slight and it does not cause the bar to roll in my hands, but having the center of mass moving slightly back in a dynamic lift like the press is, actually, slightly helpful.

Id rather have the bars dead nuts straight, however.