starting strength gym

Thread: Advice request - persistent nosebleeds

Default Advice request - persistent nosebleeds

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've always been susceptible to Valsalva nosebleeds, but they happened very rarely. Then, after a rather brutal lateral flow Covid test in Spain when the nurse rammed the swab right up there, my nose started bleeding every time I squatted something over 115kg and the reps started to get tough. I have to stop and clean the floor, because it's a public gym where blood-spilling is frowned upon.

This happened every time for about three weeks before I went to see a doctor who performed a nasal cautery. The part he needed to cauterize was hard to reach because it was so far up, and I was told not to train for two weeks. So I trained light and concentrated on overhead presses for that time. But today when I decided to squat properly, the blood started to flow on the 5th rep of the 1st work set.

I don't know what to do. Should I try a second cautery? Or maybe I could wear a swimmer's nose clip, so that at least the blood doesn't go all over the floor, just down my throat. Would that be stupid?

I'd appreciate any advice on offer. I need to squat!

You're going to need a second cautery, this time by a more-competent otolaryngologist. Until then, keep a bottle of oxymetazoline (12-Hour Afrin) with you, and if you get a nosebleed, wet a piece of tissue with the spray and shove it up your nostril.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're going to need a second cautery, this time by a more-competent otolaryngologist. Until then, keep a bottle of oxymetazoline (12-Hour Afrin) with you, and if you get a nosebleed, wet a piece of tissue with the spray and shove it up your nostril.
    I have been using the Afrin for the past 6 months as Mr. Rippetoe suggested, primarily to reduce my snoring, and a significant side-benefit has also been the notable absence of my previously-frequent squat-induced nosebleeds. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius123 View Post
    I have been using the Afrin for the past 6 months as Mr. Rippetoe suggested, primarily to reduce my snoring, and a significant side-benefit has also been the notable absence of my previously-frequent squat-induced nosebleeds. Thank you.
    If you're not already using a humidifier while you sleep, it couldn't hurt to try one and see if it reduces nasal dryness. Using one nightly for the past year has helped my sinuses.

Sinus trouble and a bleeding nasal septum are two different issues.