starting strength gym

Thread: Mixing press and press 2.0

Default Mixing press and press 2.0

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Let's assume the following press workout: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 100x5x3.

I have SS2d, so until recently I was using a strict form. I have begun incoporating hip drive per press 2.0. My question is this: what about using the strict version for all warm up sets and then switching to 2.0 for the work sets (i.e. doing strict presses from 45x5 up to 85x5 then switching to 2.0 for 100x5x3)? Are there advantages or disadvantages to doing workouts this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarret Noll View Post
    Let's assume the following press workout: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 100x5x3.

I have SS2d, so until recently I was using a strict form. I have begun incoporating hip drive per press 2.0. My question is this: what about using the strict version for all warm up sets and then switching to 2.0 for the work sets (i.e. doing strict presses from 45x5 up to 85x5 then switching to 2.0 for 100x5x3)? Are there advantages or disadvantages to doing workouts this way?
    Tough to do. When the Press 2.0 is taught at the seminar, the is taught without the bar, then with an empty bar, and then through the weight progressions. To effectively and efficiently get better at the movement, why not just tune the movement you are going to use for your work sets during your warm up sets?

I'm with Mac here. In fact, we've seen the opposite of your suggestion be useful: for those who strict pressed for years and had some trouble nailing down the Press 2.0 form, doing the 2.0 for the warm-up sets, and then the strict press (that you're more comfortable with) for the work sets, works well in developing the skills for the 2.0 without having to de-load. Eventually, you become good enough to do it for the work set as well.

What led me to this thought is that the press 2.0 makes it a little easier to move the weight. I would do my warmups with strict form and then attempt the work set at 100# with strict form, but the bar just wouldnt move up. So i tensed my butt and quads super tight, moved forward at the hip without bending my spine, came back and pushed the weight up. It worked!

Yet I felt a little like I was cheating. Here was a weight I couldnt move with strict form, but could move with some hip action. So I started thinking that if I use the hip drive on the work sets my strength would increase such that I would eventually be able to move the same weight with strict form. That is, if I could press 2.0 110# maybe it would help me strict press 100#.

Reading your responses makes me think I ought to just get over the "cheating" hangup...but I have to confess that there is a beastly, manly quality to the strict press that seems lacking with press 2.0. On the other hand, the press 2.0 will probably help me get to my goal of a BW press faster. And a BW press is beastly and manly regardless of the technique used...