starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm interested to see if anybody sees anything wrong here. I hurt myself badly on a set of squats yesterday. I've been stuck horizontal since. Standing up is excruciating if not impossible. Crawling is more achievable but still hurts. I can extend my spine while lying on my belly but even a hint of forward bend and my lower spine/sacrum screams in pain. My front left abdomen also hurts right along the diagonal line that runs down to your pelvis. I can feel a knot or maybe a hernia there.

. https://vimeo.com/117592561

This is my second set of 5 @ 210lbs. Not a max weight for me. I set the bar back down to center better. First set felt great as well as first rep of this set. On the 2nd rep It felt like my weight shifted back and instead of dispersing evenly through my legs and hips all went down my spine and stopped.

It's been 24 hours with no improvement. I think I fucked myself here. What do you think? I can't drive to the hospital (don't really think that is necessary, Vicodin would be nice though). Just lay here until I feel better?

To answer your second question, a good chiropractor is the answer here. How to find and get yourself to one are beyond the scope of the advice I can offer you. But relief will be prompt if you go to a guy (or lady) who can diagnose and manipulate you properly.

I don't keep any pain killers or NSAIDs here. Will ice help?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    I don't keep any pain killers or NSAIDs here. Will ice help?
    Might help numb it enough so you can drive to the store, buy some ibuprofen, and stop at the chiro's office.

My girlfriend is a massage therapist. She doesn't do sports therapy but light relaxing massages. Would that help or hinder?

My girlfriend is a massage therapist. She doesn't do sports therapy but light relaxing massages. Would that help or hinder?
    I doubt it will make any difference at all. Unlike the ibuprofen and emergency chiropractor visit. Will your girlfriend help you get in the car and drive you? That would be a better use of her time and effort and helpfulness than a relaxing candlelight massage with new age music playing.

If you haven't been able to stand up straight for over a day, and you have severe pain in both your low back and abdomen, you need to get yourself some medical care, ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    If you haven't been able to stand up straight for over a day, and you have severe pain in both your low back and abdomen, you need to get yourself some medical care, ASAP.
    I feel no pain when lying down, both on my stomach and back. Perhaps just slight discomfort. The pain only happens when I sit or stand. Should I still be alarmed? This fucking sucks a whole lot, but I didn't think of it as an emergency or anything. Just a huge inconvenience.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I feel no pain when lying down, both on my stomach and back. Perhaps just slight discomfort. The pain only happens when I sit or stand. Should I still be alarmed? This fucking sucks a whole lot, but I didn't think of it as an emergency or anything. Just a huge inconvenience.
    I've fucked up my form before and been in a lot of pain after the workout session. But it's never prevented me from standing up the next day or caused excruciating pain while doing nothing. This is not something I would be playing around with. It may ultimately be nothing...but neither you nor people on an internet forum (though well meaning) are capable of knowing that with the limited information we have.

Seriously, get to a doctor and figure this stuff out really soon. Guessing isn't a good idea for this stuff.

starting strength coach development program
    Standing and walking short distances now. Rest and ibuprofen seems to be doing the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast