starting strength gym

Thread: Geezer Deadlifts

Default Geezer Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I've been doing an A-B workout for a while now, finishing each workout with 1x5 deadlifts.

Rippetoe suggests Deadlifts on only one of the workout, and something like chins, lat pulldowns, cleans/jerks, whatever for the second workout. I don't do cleans, and I just started doing chins.

But I'm wondering, since I just changed my workout schedule to Sun/Thur, if I'm going to end up detraining on the deadlifts if I go to one set every two workouts - that's pretty much a six day recovery between the single set of 5 deadlifts. I've been managing to add ten pounds a workout with the twice a week schedule, going from 80# (yeah, really - I bike, never trained my legs otherwise) to 200# since February 18th, but I don't think I'm going to be able to keep on doing that much longer.

I'm reluctant to stop doing a set of deadlifts with every workout, though, as long as I still seem to be progressing at a decent rate.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

Oh - 200#, 68 years old, fluffy middle.

FWIW, as lifters get up in weight in and pass beyond the novice stage, doing DL's once a week and even every other week. You may be at that point of lowering the frequency of doing them.

You could probably keep doing them every workout but maybe only go up 10lb per week. When it feels like you are not recovering sufficiently then go to the A=B schedule.

I thought about going to ten pounds a week, and have been wondering what would be the best strategy: Continue with two workouts including deadlifts, and adding five pounds at a time, or adding ten pounds the first workout, and none the second.

It probably does not matter. But if you like the satisfaction of seeing more weight on the bar every time you lift just split 10 lb between each sessions, so 5 + 5.

When the DL becomes too taxing to lift heavy in both workouts you could introduce a lighter DL. That's what a Starting Strength coach recommended to me when I was deadlifting only once a week and stalling. He suggested going heavy once a week (your regular top weight) and then doing 2X5 at 80% of top weight on alternate workouts. So you keep the volume up, but DL heavy only once a week.

Sounds like you like the deadlift so the above might work for you. But don't add volume unless you need to. I find volume DL pretty taxing, but it seems to have helped my DL get unstuck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    Sounds like you like the deadlift so the above might work for you. But don't add volume unless you need to. I find volume DL pretty taxing, but it seems to have helped my DL get unstuck.
    I was surprised to find that I do. I was always afraid of it because of a couple of ruptured spinal disks, but I've been paying a lot of attention to form, and so far - fingers crossed - not only no problems, but lower back pain has seemed to improve.