starting strength gym

Thread: New Coach Requesting Advice...

Default New Coach Requesting Advice...

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This is a question regarding coaching advice (I am new to coaching)...hope this is a correct forum to ask this...

With reference to this earlier thread:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=48495

I have now had 2 weeks of "professional" coaching experience (not getting paid yet, but I think that will get corrected over the next month or so) - there have been about
    10 different trainees, across different demographics.

Enjoying the coaching sessions, as are (I suppose) the people who are attending these Strength Training sessions.

One question that came to my mind regarding coaching Squats (LBBS) is, regarding ways that the Coach can identify hip-drive (or the lack of it).

Other than what is visually obvious/direct in terms of "driving chest up" that I am able to notice, would there be other visual (perhaps, in-direct) and other clues which could help in identifying/confirming a lack of hip drive?

Relevant situation that I encountered, which made me raise this question:

During these Strength Training sessions, while I have always emphasized hip-drive as the only way to come out of the hole during a (LBBS) squat, sometimes, at "border-line" conditions, that is perhaps, when trainee is sitting back, but maybe could sit back a bit more, it appears that trainee is maintaining back angle, but still not entirely engaging hip drive (as much as could be possible).

When I encountered this situation, I advised trainee to exaggerate the hip-drive (at the expense of maintaining back angle) by raising with hips faster than shoulders (for only a couple of reps)...this seemed to correct the issue immediately.

Any other pointers is greatly appreciated...

Thanks very much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Srini B View Post
    would there be other visual (perhaps, in-direct) and other clues which could help in identifying/confirming a lack of hip drive?
    Don't overthink this one, just watch their hips. If they don't come up first out of the hole, you've got a problem. Sometimes this takes awhile to sink in. Once you put a bar on their back, some people forget everything. Be patient. Use tactile cues and touch their low back. When they get to close to the bottom, remind them with a cue like, "Hips up!" You may have to yell that every time until the internalize the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Srini B View Post
    When I encountered this situation, I advised trainee to exaggerate the hip-drive (at the expense of maintaining back angle) by raising with hips faster than shoulders (for only a couple of reps)...this seemed to correct the issue immediately.
    I do this too for difficult cases. Be very clear, "The only thing I want you to think about is driving your butt up. I don't care what else happens, your butt comes up first. Exaggerate the movement."

Sounds like you're on the right track. The more people you deal with the better you'll get at picking the right cues for the right type of trainee.

Thank you Paul... Really appreciate your advice and suggestions...