starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift still stuck...

Default Deadlift still stuck...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Здравствуйте, тренеры

I have a problem with my deadlift - it doesn't want to go up. I'm on my 11th week of HLM programming since Texas Method was running me down - I have a 4 month old daughter, makes sleep a challenge at time, as well as time constraints for the gym. I'm 6', 217 lbs (not fat), 28 years old.

My deadlift hasn't moved since hitting a set of 5 @ 425 13 weeks ago (on the 4-day TM split). In that same time period, I've taken my squat from a set of 5 @ 400 (intensity day) to 3 sets of 5 @ 400 (heavy day - I started HLM with 365 lbs for work sets), and I believe it will continue to go up 5 lbs/week without stalling for a while still. I have been alternating deadlifts with assistance exercises on my heavy day, consisting of alternating halting deads (1x8, 80%) and deficit deads (3", 3x5, 85%). Cycling rep count hasn't worked, as I can't get 430 off the ground. I'm not sure if it is because of fatigue from heavy squats or something else. I posted a form check for my deadlift when it was about 405, and I was told it was fine, just to drag the bar up my shins. My power clean is at 185 lbs for 5 sets of 3 and going up 2.2 lbs/week on linear progression.

So - what do I do?

You probably need less assistance work and more exposure to full deadlifts. It wouldn't surprise me if squats are interfering, too, given your recovery constraints. Squats are going well, however, correct? How many days do you train per week?

Squats are moving as expected, adding 5 lbs per week to the heavy day. I did take two weeks of doing 3 reps instead of 5 and I had one week of deload in those 13 weeks. Exact programming:

Monday (heavy)

Squats 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlifts alternating with assistance

Wednesday (light)

Squats 3x5@ 80%
    Press 3x5
    Power snatch 6x2

Friday (medium)

Squats 3x5@ 90%
    Incline bench press 3x8
    Power clean 5x3

I'm capable of training any day, but I have more time available on Mondays since that is one of my wife's off days. With that said, weekends are busy. But I'll do whatever I need to get this moving again.

Might be a stupid question (but no, it's really not): Have you tried just doing, and alternating, rack pulls and haltings?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Might be a stupid question (but no, it's really not): Have you tried just doing, and alternating, rack pulls and haltings?
    I used haltings in the assistance exercises I was alternating (along with deficit deads), but not rack pulls. My thought process was that lockout is essentially a non-issue, but getting the weight off the floor is, so I didn't see the value in rack pulls at this time. I don't have my training log on me at work, but I tried rack pulls one week with wrist wraps and pulled well in excess of what I am doing for deads, so I just didn't bother to do them again.

Rack pulls are useful since they provide a significant overload and thus can help with strength development, even though the problematic part of the ROM for you doesn't get trained. Using a rack pull/halting setup may be of use and is something to keep in mind.

However, let's try this first. Find a weight that you can pull for a set of five without killing yourself. It should provide some work, but your last rep should not be a shit-your-pants grind. The first dead workout should leave you feeling like you have something left in the tank and make you think that this exercise is not as awful as it actually is. Do full deads once a week. Add five pounds a go. Consider doing some haltings on Friday, perhaps not at first, but some extra heavier work off the floor may come in handy. This may mean cutting your power cleans short and using them as a kind of deadlift warmup. You could also rotate snatches and power cleans on Wednesday and just drop the Oly variants altogether on Fri.

Let's see if a deload coupled with increased exposure to the full lift and perhaps extra low end ROM work doesn't get things moving again. When you switch programs, it is often useful to back off the weight a little to accommodate the change in volume and to give you a running start. This is especially true if things are stalling.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 05-21-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Grammar

Also, I should note that use of Russian is appreciated.

удача

Let us know how things go.

Здравствуйте товарищ кампителли,

I decided to reset deadlifts to 405. I also lifted in my Do-Wins instead of barefoot. They went up very fast and I had about three in the tank, but it was still challenging enough to feel it - I'll be sure to follow up in a couple months when I'm, hopefully, lifting much more for my work set. I decided to film my squats and get some feedback now that the weight is heavier while I had you. This is my second set of three at 405 lbs. The last set felt heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKxC...ature=youtu.be

Большое спасибо

Those squats are pretty damn solid. You handled 405 like it was a light weight. Nicely done. Your stance may be a touch wide, but it isn't hurting you at all and you look to be a tall dude. If you put on a few pounds, it wouldn't be bad for your lifting, either. Very good work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Those squats are pretty damn solid. You handled 405 like it was a light weight. Nicely done. Your stance may be a touch wide, but it isn't hurting you at all and you look to be a tall dude. If you put on a few pounds, it wouldn't be bad for your lifting, either. Very good work.
    Your praise is too high, but many thanks. I'm 6', 217. My weight has been stuck now for a couple months, ever since I traded my gallon of chocolate milk a day out for 2-3 protein shakes. I should probably start tracking macros, I'd love to get up to 240 lbs if I didn't get super soft doing it. After seeing me squat, I'm sure you understand my frustration with my deadlift. I'll continue on the path you've outlined, hopefully with success.

До свидания