starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check, please.

Default Squat check, please.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Most recent set of Squats for TM VD. I recently added some volume so deloaded a bit; enough to pause these.

I should have gotten a form check sooner but TBH I've always been embarrassed by my inability to completely figure this shit out. Stupid, heh? As my wife would say "damn hard-headed Norwegians".

For the sake of the discussion, please disregard the grip/hand placement for now. Unless of course there's a quick fix that's completely obvious that I'm missing. I've tried and tried to correct that. What you see is a compromise between causing wrist problems and keeping the "shelf" for the bar intact as best I can. FWIW, it hasn't caused me wrist, elbow or shoulder problems (at least not yet), and the bar stays put.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    Most recent set of Squats for TM VD. I recently added some volume so deloaded a bit; enough to pause these.

I should have gotten a form check sooner but TBH I've always been embarrassed by my inability to completely figure this shit out. Stupid, heh? As my wife would say "damn hard-headed Norwegians".

For the sake of the discussion, please disregard the grip/hand placement for now. Unless of course there's a quick fix that's completely obvious that I'm missing. I've tried and tried to correct that. What you see is a compromise between causing wrist problems and keeping the "shelf" for the bar intact as best I can. FWIW, it hasn't caused me wrist, elbow or shoulder problems (at least not yet), and the bar stays put.
    Depth is hard to judge from here, but they appear to be high. The grip will hopefully become less of an issue over time.

Here's the big 3 take-aways (in addition to the depth issue) you can correct right away. Get your knees to their spot sooner in the descent. Drive the hips straight up from the bottom. No pausing.

Take the next video from a slightly more oblique angle if you can, especially if you can position the camera closer to hip height.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Depth is hard to judge from here, but they appear to be high. The grip will hopefully become less of an issue over time.

Here's the big 3 take-aways (in addition to the depth issue) you can correct right away. Get your knees to their spot sooner in the descent. Drive the hips straight up from the bottom. No pausing.

Take the next video from a slightly more oblique angle if you can, especially if you can position the camera closer to hip height.
    Thanks Adam! I will try to get a better angle for those next session.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post

Here's the ID Squat work set from today:

Hopefully this is a decent camera angle.. I tried different camera spots in there, angled further off to the side, front quarter, etc. Anything w/ the camera to the right had poor lighting and the other spots were partially obstructed by the rack.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    Here's the ID Squat work set from today:

Each rep is shallower than the previous.

From this angle, it looks like reps 1 and 2 are good. Last 3 are not deep enough.

Don't rush the fucking set. Do your rep, stand up, take a big ass fucking breath, and then hit the next rep. You might even take two breaths before the last rep. It's not a fucking race or a damn crossfit workout. Take your time, "recover" from each rep, and then bang the next one with full ROM.

Keep at it! Onward and Upward

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Each rep is shallower than the previous.

From this angle, it looks like reps 1 and 2 are good. Last 3 are not deep enough.

Don't rush the fucking set. Do your rep, stand up, take a big ass fucking breath, and then hit the next rep. You might even take two breaths before the last rep. It's not a fucking race or a damn crossfit workout. Take your time, "recover" from each rep, and then bang the next one with full ROM.

Keep at it! Onward and Upward
    Thanks! I will work on this during the next ID workout, and hopefully be able to post that set later this week (need to leave for some biz travel early tomorrow morn & the return date is flexible as of right now).