starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi coaches
    First, thanks in advance.
    I've struggled badly with dropping my hips to get my chest up instead of leaving them where they are when my shins make contact. I'm finally getting past doing that. What's now happening, though, is a round back on about any rep that's not light enough for me to get the bar "floating" before the pull or isn't done with lowered hips. Very light weights like 135/185, for example, look fine, but the bar is an inch or two off the floor before the pull.
    Any tips? This is 230. I've had enough back tweaks over the past year that deloading until I get a neutral spine seemed safest. Prior to fixing my hip position, my work sets were the high 200s.

Also, I apologize for the from the floor angle. I filmed this for myself until I saw all the flexion here but didn't want to repeat another session this rounded without asking for advice. I can get video in any format/angle desired my next session.

Deads. 230 - YouTube
    Thanks again
    Scott

You may need to get the plates a few inches off the floor and then work your way down over time. Do you happen to be near a Starting Strength Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You may need to get the plates a few inches off the floor and then work your way down over time. Do you happen to be near a Starting Strength Coach?
    Thanks!

Yes, I've worked with Mia Inman quite a bit and am seeing her again this weekend. We worked mostly on squats together, but she's been on me about dropping my hips on deadlifts from day 1.

If the answer does end up being a low block pull as suggested, would your best guess of the current cause be a hamstring flexibility issue or something else?

I now realize that I gave one inaccurate statement in my original post. Last Wednesday when I did my first ever correct set ups, I filmed the sets, and I believe the rep below at 275 was decent. I only post because I was, on that day, able to get a rep at a weight that doesn't "float" up to a block height successfully (to contextualize, if I allow hip drop, my work sets are about 285 for 5). I will also confess that in my excitement to finally "get it", I did the set I originally posted on Friday. To spare you too much reading, this was (stupidly) my third deadlift session of the week, the heaviest of which was Monday. The original intent was light form work Wednesday, but the success of that day got in my head. I suppose it could have been fatigue/overtraining upon reevaluation? Again not defending the programming - it was dumb.

Thanks much for your time. You recently also answered a squat question of mine, and I've been applying your advice to good effect.

Set 5 - 275 - YouTube

I've seen worse, that is for sure. The sticky will reveal why I cannot say more than that. Your back was held in decent extension throughout your one rep there, however.