starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bar feels crushing on squats

Default Bar feels crushing on squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Coach.
    I have tried to do squats as part of your program the way you teach them (low bar) , but they didn't seem to work well for me (lower back and hip problems).
    I wanted to get started with the high bar squat so yesterday I did some warm up sets which felt pretty heavy on my traps , then I proceeded to a set of 20 breathing high bar squats. It was just excruciating , I really felt crushed by the bar , but I pussied off and convinced myself to finish the set.
    Today , my upper back (where the bar was placed not the muscles , ligaments ...) was extra sore and all red , and the weight wasn't even that heavy.

1/Do you have a tip for me so that I can do the novice program without having to suffer from this problem , especially as the weights go heavier. ??

2/ I have 40" legs and 29" torso (head included) , which kind of squat suits me the best ?? Low bar squats are awful for my back.

Maybe you should front squat.

I thought Rip said that people with long legs shouldn't even front squat because they can't stay sufficiently upright ....

Anyway , how should I program them ?? , and should I add stuff for the hamstrings and low back ? I've already been suggested to front squat 5x a week but this is really doesnt suit my schedule (and I am too lazy to squat 5x a week).

I don't think I will be of much help but I must wonder: what are your back and hip problems? How old are you?

Having proportions unsuited for squatting shouldn't make doing a squat actually kill you, just make it harder for you to compete at the higher levels. Also, if you were just trying high bar squats why did you do a max set of 20? That sounds like begging for an injury to me.

I am 16 , back and hip problems are fixed now (upper back is a bitch but i think it is not squatting related).
    I just did the set of 20 for the challenge , because it is supposed to be very hard , and it was.
    I'd like to high bar squat , it doesn't seem to do any bad to my back , even with the form that crumbled down on the last five reps but as you can see I am really disproportionate , since a perfectly proportionate person should have equal torso and leg length.
    I am just seeking the safest and most appropriate way of squatting for me , I don't want to screw my linear progression after a few weeks because of a stupid injury.
    I want you to help me choose between the front and the high bar squat and tell me how to program them (3x5 probably sucks for fronts) , low bar is probably out because I get immediate back pain

you probably started with weights the same as low bar - from what i hear, high bar requires some weight be taken off. also, it's a new exercise (even if it is only a few inches), so you should have gone light as with any new exercise.

does it really make your back that sore? :S

I think I found a studay that says deep front squats suck for long legged whores like me. I just can't get a hold of it.

I even read in many websites that long legged people shouldn't even barbell squat because their back angle would be too horizontal thus placing too much stress on it and not training the legs properly.

I just ignored it because that would mean that I am severely limiting my strength gains , but if it is true just tell me please.
    Last edited by exter; 08-25-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exter View Post
    I am 16
    That at least explains the torrent of stupid questions you keep unleashing on this forum.

a perfectly proportionate person should have equal torso and leg length.
    This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Stop fucking around. Stop trying to create your own program. Stop with the random shit. Start SS. Do it exactly as written. Learn good form and injuries should be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by dsp View Post
    you probably started with weights the same as low bar - from what i hear, high bar requires some weight be taken off. also, it's a new exercise (even if it is only a few inches), so you should have gone light as with any new exercise.

does it really make your back that sore? :S
    I just took 45lbs off of my 5RM low bar squat , I know high bar squats allow for less weight and I used to do them before I switched to low bar.

It's not the spine or anything , it just hurts very much as a result of the position of the bar , the bones of my shoulders are extra sore. I don't really understand it because my traps are fairly big.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    That at least explains the torrent of stupid questions you keep unleashing on this forum.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Stop fucking around. Stop trying to create your own program. Stop with the random shit. Start SS. Do it exactly as written. Learn good form and injuries should be minimal.
    You're always raging against people on this forum , man go get your own psychological issues fixed , but not here.
    What's wrong with doing the high bar squat instead of the low bar squat ?? Do you want me to do something that hurts and feels completely unnatural , although I have done my best to learn it , just to get some more posterior chain work ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast