starting strength gym

Thread: Low Bar Back Squat Form - Pain in adductors

Default Low Bar Back Squat Form - Pain in adductors

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello Mark,

After HBBS for quite a while, I was told to switch over to LBBS and added weight + upped the number of reps I could do at every weight. I was stoked. Recently however I have had very sore adductors at the attachment point on the Pelvis and this has lead to pain that inhibits my squatting. I first thought it was my shoes as I had changed from wearing Vibrams to Olympic lifting shoes so I bought some Chucks, as many people love squatting in chucks but unfortunately the pain still persists. I also have pain squatting in vibrams or barefoot. So I was wondering if there was anything that I am doing wrong in terms of my technique that could lead to this.

My 1 RM is 265 pounds and this is 3 reps at 220 pounds. BTW I am 19 5 foot 9 and weigh 160 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52H6...el_video_title (WFS)

I can't see much worth commenting on in the video, so I wont. Someone else with a far better eye for this sort of thing than I have may come along and tell you to read the video stickies. They will probably use the word "cleverly". Fair warning.

However, it seems likely to me that you may be using your adductors more with your current form than you were with your previous squat form. That tends to make things sore.
    Last edited by Michael Grantham; 09-09-2011 at 08:53 AM.

i had a similar pain when i started. for me it was simply weakness in those muscles. i worked through the pain and in about a month or so it went away - magic!

Did you just jump from whatever weight you were using with HB to LB?

On footwear...

SW shoes > Chucks > Vibrams > Barefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    may come along and tell you to read the video stickies. They will probably use the word "cleverly". Fair warning.
    Ha! I wonder who would say such a thing?

starting strength coach development program
    Should have been more specific. I was squatting pain free for about 3 months Low Bar and the pain only started when I started to wear Olympic Lifting shoes.

So I was wondering if there is anything that is wrong with my technique that may be causing this?

I am sorry about my poor video. I should have read the sticky. Will get a better video on Tuesday