starting strength gym

Thread: Small Workouts to Target Weak Areas

Default Small Workouts to Target Weak Areas

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have seen several prominent strength coaches, namely Louie Simmons and Josh Bryant, promote this idea that small workouts can be effective to target specific muscle groups that contribute to a lifter's individual sticking point on a given lift. This could include movements aimed at the medial head of the tricep for lockout on the bench press, hamstring movements to target sticking points at the knee for the deadlift, etc. The small workouts would be relatively high rep with an emphasis on hypertrophy, and they would have a minimal threshold of recovery (intensity low). My question is thus: do you believe that this theory holds any water, so to speak? Could this concept be used in accordance with the SRA model, or could it potentially interfere with the recovery of a lifter to such a degree that he'd be better off not doing them?

This question is more posed for advanced lifters that have gone though LP and HLM/ Texas method that are into more complex block training; I don't disagree that lifters in the beginning and intermediate stages are better off sticking to the core lifts. But for the advanced lifter, on paper it would seem to be if someone was running through an accumulation phase and might be able to extend records one more week by fixing an area that is lagging via small workouts, why wouldn't said lifter do so?

If you’re not generating any meaningful stress/fatigue, then there’s nothing to adapt to, right?

Personally, I’ve tried that sort of thing with band pull-aparts, and it’s never really done anything for me.

At a competitive level, I would ASSUME the more volume the merrier. Up until it interferes or gets you hurt. If you look at training routines of powerlifters over the centuries you will find record breakers all skinned the cat different ways. Some espousing isolated or machine work, or others sticking strictly to the lifts alone, or others breaking the lifts into partials.

Most SS coaches who compete have a log here. You'll find they mostly stick to variations and compound movements.