starting strength gym

Thread: Novice Looking for Advice

Default Novice Looking for Advice

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My background is that I'm a 39yo male, 6'1" and 182lbs. I'm a pretty skinny guy and have struggled building muscle mass my entire life. I have done squats and bench presses before, but could never lift anywhere near what a typical guy my size could. I never really stuck with it either. I'm pretty sure my lack of progress was probably due to a combination of poor programming and lack of motivation to work on it over the long haul.

I'm curious about what you all think about starting a program independently without a coach. I've been reading the Rip's practical programming book and am very interested in the Starting Strength method. I don't see that there are any coaches in my area in the directory on the website. I'm located in the North Dallas area. My main concern would be performing the lifts with the proper form. I know I can use the mirrors to help, but not sure if you would advise against this or if it would be OK. I've got some time before I start since I'm recovering from a shoulder scope at the moment. I plan on reading Starting Strength as well before starting. I want to make sure I design a proper plan and don't rush into it anyway.

My main goal is to add strength and power, not necessarily size, although I know that comes along with it. This is what is intriguing to me about the starting strength approach. Also, I'm very limited in time due to work and family requirements. So I need to find a gym that is reasonably close and open very early in the morning. Do you have any suggestions about what to look for, or know of a gym in my area. The ideal places I've seen are crossfit facilities, but that requires following their programming, not doing your own. The only other places I can find are fitness facilities with a free weights section. Thanks for you help.

Having a coach and even a SS gym in the Dallas area has been something the organization has been trying to do for some time now, but it just hasn't happened yet. Since that's the case, it will be well worth your time to spend a few hours with Nick Delgadillo up in Wichita Falls. He'll get you started on the right track as far as form and technique are concerned. You'll be surprised at how valuable even 1-2 session with him are, and will be well worth the trip.

You're right that almost all of the Crossfit gyms require you to take their classes and do their programming. Look for a gym that has multiple squat racks, round plates for deadlifting, barbells that don't look bent, and flat benches. If the gym provides chalk, it's usually a good indicator. I may be wrong about this but I think I've heard that Metroflex of Plano is a place you can actually train.

OP - I don't want to be a naysayer here, but after reading your post you almost seem like you are looking for permission to start or help to eliminate your reasons for not doing this. As some who is the same age as you and has done the program for almost a year now, I can tell you that if you want to do this you need to FULLY commit to it and just do it. Yes, your form will be off and you'll need help (video form checks are better than not doing anything). And Yes, having kids, a demanding job, and not being in your twenties definitely slows down your gains. But, I would bet at least 50 to 75% of the people on the site are in the same position.

I've struggled with form at times and my gains are much slower than the picture perfect examples in the book. But, in time doing the program I've never missed a work out. I travel for work so have paid for day passes at about 7 different gyms to get my workouts in. I've taken my 4 year old and my 10 year old with me to the gym at times to give my wife a break. I've worked out at 6am and at 10pm sometimes (before kids wake or after asleep). And you know what, while not exactly amazing, I have added 200 lbs to my squat and deadlift, 60lbs to my press, and 75lbs to my bench.

If you want to do this YOU CAN. But you have to commit, no one else can do it for you. My advice is to dive in head first and enjoy the ride.

side note: You are a 2 hour drive from the Mecca (WFAC), you could probably arrange for one 2 to 3 hour intro lesson to get you started.

Thanks for the responses. I agree that I haven't been fully motivated. You're statement about not being fully committed is right. I never really thought about it, but you may be right about looking for permission. I'm typically someone who tries to think everything out to the last detail, and am probably overthinking this. Hopefully, I can get the green light from the doctor for lifting weights in the next couple of weeks. Then I will just dive in. I think that the idea of going to WFAC is a good idea. I could easily take a day off to spend up there.

For what issue/condition are you awaiting your doctor's OK?

starting strength coach development program
    I live in the DFW MetroHell too. Getting up to Wichita Falls for a training session with Nick is worth the time and money. I've gone up there once by myself and another time with my wife when she started training. Read the book. Commit to the program. Get a training session booked in the first few weeks so you don't start off with horrible habits.