starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought olympic lifting shoes.. too tight?

Default Just bought olympic lifting shoes.. too tight?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys,

I just got the Adidas Power Perfect II's. Normally I wear size 43 sneakers. I ordered the Adidas shoes in size 43 1/3.
    My feet get in quite easily and shoe comes off easily too (after opening the shoe laces of course), but the shoes feels tight. Mainly around the sides of the big toes.

I never wore lifting shoes before, so I'm not sure what is regarded as 'normal'. The velcro braces [Edit: I mean straps] only close 2/3rd the way - is that ok?
    I can cram 1 finger into the back of my feet if I push my feet all the way forward. (with cram I really mean cram - 1 of the fingers got bloody due the friction with my sock lol)

Now, PPII is a leather shoe I think. And I heard leather shoes expand. But I don't know 'how far' they expand. There is a shoe stretcher at a local athletic store that I can use. Basically, I'm wondering whether I should 1) wait it out for the leather to expand 2) use a shoe stretcher 3) order a size 44 ? (without knowing if that's too big)
    Last edited by 2) The Answer is Texas; 02-24-2016 at 06:48 AM.

I'm no expert, but I'd let it expand.

They will soften in time (2 weeks - 1 month of regular use). Don't stretch them. *

Mine were really tight around the toes in the beginning, but they stretched out.

I think the shoes are made of some sort of synthetic leather, so be careful with them.
    Last edited by slowmotion; 02-25-2016 at 04:06 AM.

Also had these, they felt tight at first, then after a week they felt fine.

Same as what everyone else has said - mine felt moderately tight / stiff at first but softened up after a couple weeks. I had the same experience as you with the toe feeling too tight but now it's totally fine. I wouldn't even mind if it was a little snugger now.

Maybe silly, but since it is the first time I'm wearing heels like that lol. When I'm sitting it's just a bit tight around the toes. But when I stand, it almost feels like my big toes r being compressed (possibly due the high heel angle + toebox shape). So this will just soften up / get bigger right?

Edit: something else, my mid foot seems to slack over the sides of the sole, is that ok? (I'm thinking I'm overthinking this all maybe lol, since there are huge beasts of men squatting in these narrow adidas' shoes.)
    Last edited by 2) The Answer is Texas; 02-26-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Something else - I feel a bit unstable on my olympic lifting shoes. Is that just a matter of adjustment?

When I first started lifting in heeled oly shoes, I thought they felt incredibly weird. And my squat mechanics got all wonky. I had to deload a bunch to get used to them.

Regarding the tightness: I'm normally a 44 and I have flat, wide pancake feet & I went with the 43 1/3 (what weird-ass sizing, btw). They're definitely snug, & that's exactly how I want them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    When I first started lifting in heeled oly shoes, I thought they felt incredibly weird. And my squat mechanics got all wonky. I had to deload a bunch to get used to them.

Regarding the tightness: I'm normally a 44 and I have flat, wide pancake feet & I went with the 43 1/3 (what weird-ass sizing, btw). They're definitely snug, & that's exactly how I want them.
    It seems that besides width the length is also an issue, my feet are literally between Adidas' weird 43 1/3 and 44 sizing in length. But the PPII's do seem to resemble sneakers, so I'm assuming / hoping they'll stretch out.

Btw, did use a certain cue to fix your squat? I feel like I have to shift my weight more to my heels when wearing oly shoes. Or else I fall over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast