starting strength gym

Thread: Fundamental quote by Henry Rollins

Default Fundamental quote by Henry Rollins

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I don't know Henry Rollins or the band he's in, but I've heard about his article on lifting weights on the Joe Rogan podcast, and I think it'd be useful to leave this quote somewhere in the forum, and maybe start a discussion or share personal anecdotes.
    Here it is:

"Through the years, I have combined meditation, action, and the Iron into a single strength. I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you."

The rest of the article can be found at this link:
    Iron and The Soul by Henry Rollins - www.oldtimestrongman.com

We've been aware of this for a long time. But thanks for sharing.

It's pretty easy to unrack the bar for a new 5RM squat when you know that the self hatred you'd feel if you quit is worse than the uncomfortableness that is squatting.

I woke up from a dream recently with this phrase in my head: "A man must become dangerously strong, or else be dangerously weak."

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    I woke up from a dream recently with this phrase in my head: "A man must become dangerously strong, or else be dangerously weak."
    It makes some sense if you apply it uniquely to the physical world. Kill or be killed kinda deal.
    Physical strength is a prerequisite to improve all other qualities a man must possess for his own sake and those around him.
    On the other hand, squatting 600lbs, doesn't automatically make you dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    On the other hand, squatting 600lbs, doesn't automatically make you dangerous.
    It does if you fall on someone!

"Friends may come and go but 200lbs is always 200lbs."

Awwww, the ducklings have discovered part of the Riddle of Steel. Yes, you can always trust it, but to get there you have to be forged in a fire.
    Now, if we can just get them to learn how useless visible abs are.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    When you wake up with it like that, it's meaningful. You worked something out in that dream.

starting strength coach development program
    If you're going to be miserable, you might as well be miserable and strong.